Pregnant with #3, Depressed & Don't know what to do!

I am 34 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. I have a 9yr old son and a 2 1/2 yr old daughter. I am very happily married to, honestly, the greatest man I've ever known. Sounds perfect, but I have recently had many "situations" in my life that could certainly cause depression & stress. There is no way I could fit it all in here. Let's just say, my therapist said she was surprised that I had no pulled all of my hair out, literally. I cry all day, I have moments of intense anger, no motivation, feel disconnected, afraid I'll go crazy, not interested in anything anymore, etc. I have seen a therapist and talked to my OB/GYN about it. I seem to get many different answers. Do you suggest I take meds or not? If so, what kind? Why or why not? I had a bad experience with Lexapro, so I'm now afraid of taking anything. My life is falling apart and I just don't want to make the wrong choice in how I cope with it. Please share your advice. Thx

MomOfJBK

Asked by MomOfJBK at 8:07 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Health

• You should be so proud very very proud of yourself for being in counsellilng. You truly are caring for yourself and your children. WOW Good for you. Maybe see another ob or hi risk ob for a dif opinion? Is your therapist in touch themselves by phone with your ob to keep in touch real good? Again, you are an incredibly caring woman and mom to care for yourself and your children to the extent that you are. GOOD JOB!!! Keep looking for answers!!!!
    Anonymous

• Can you go to any support groups for moms with kids?
    Anonymous

• I'm sure I could. However, my motivation to do so is little to none. Long story short.....My husband moved me 800+ miles away (for his job) from my entire family (whom I am very close to) and from the only place I've ever lived. I think I'm trying to avoid any type of relationship here because I'm so desperate to move back home. So desperate that I'm on the verge of asking him to leave this job and take me back. A lot more detail goes into that story, so it may not sound realistic to anyone. I think that situation plays a huge part in my depression. I'm so afraid that it won't get better before baby arrives and that PPD may make me so much worse and I cannot even imagine that. I've reached out to a few women at my church, but that hasn't worked out so well thus far.
    MomOfJBK

Answer by MomOfJBK at 9:13 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Hugs to you momma, I was in your shoes 2 years ago. It gets better, honestly. it took me about 6 months to get out and meet a mom/kid group because I was so down and desperate to move back home. Now 2 years later I dont want to go back where we came from I have realized that this move was for the better for My little family.

I strongly suggest a MOMSCLUB group or a MOPS group. They will come in quite handly too when you have the baby. Good luck momma
    RileysMommy1004

Answer by RileysMommy1004 at 10:02 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Meds are a great tool to help you get over the hump while working out your feelings. Most antidepressants are safe to take while pregnant and while nursing.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:04 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't believe that taking these kinds of depression drugs are the best answer they seem to help for a little while and then cause you to go into a deeper depression. That is my opinion from several I have heard from on the subject. I am on a program now for these same issues that you have described and it has been helping me to see clearly so that I can deal with my problems in a healthy way. If you are interested in the herbal approach let me know.
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 2:42 PM on May. 18, 2009