Episiotomy ?

I had my dtr 6 weeks ago...they told me the stitches would dissolve in 10 days or so. I had post partum bleeding for roughly 4 weeks then nothing. All of a sudden today it started again, and *TMI* when I wiped (every time) there were the stitches! Do you think this is normal? or should they have been dissolved by now?

clransom

Asked by clransom at 8:12 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes thats normal
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:14 PM on May. 17, 2009

• They should be dissolved by now. When you go for your postpartum checkup make sure to tell your dr so that she/he can look at them and see it they need to remove them.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 8:16 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I agree with both PPs-- you can start bleeding again at 6 weeks. It can actually be your period, even if you breastfeed. But my stitches have always been dissolved by 6 weeks.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 8:39 PM on May. 17, 2009

• that is normal . it can take different amoutns of time for things to happen , i know mine are still there and with my first they were there almost the whoel 6 weeks .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 8:40 PM on May. 17, 2009

• When I had my baby I bled, then it stopped, and then I had bleeding again some time later (I think it was 6 months but I'm not sure). The docs told me it was totally normal and usually spooks people but was nothing to worry about. It wasn't anything to do with stitches though - it was something going on inside. Wish I could remember! Anyway, it may be two different things, and I dont' know about the stitches. I wouldn't worry a lot, but I would mention it the next time you see your doc, and if you don't have an appointment in the next couple of weeks I would call.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 8:43 PM on May. 17, 2009

• thanks guys! I have an appt on June 2nd so I'll just keep an eye on it till then. I should buy stock in ALWAYS though..haha. I took my temp, no fever...............
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 8:56 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I think if there is an issue, you would be getting tender. Get a mirror & take a look.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 9:37 PM on May. 17, 2009

• at your 6 week visit if there are any left they will take them out... I had one stitch left by my 6 week visit it just did not disolve
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:56 PM on May. 17, 2009