What should I do?

I get up this morning and I find my son(14) looking at porn on the computer. We have the parental controls on but I think hubby forgot to put them back on. I am racking my brain trying to figure out what I should do about this. Any suggestions? I need some good advise not bashing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• We also went through this a couple years ago. We told him that was not tolerated and we kept a log book by the computer for over a year. The kids were to log in and out of the book and put their names and times on. I cleaned out the cookies and would look to see the websites. Whenever I found anything, I blocked it and he was grounded from the computer for at least a week. He finally stopped and we don't have the problem anymore. Stay consistent and don't give in! Also, the kids are NOT ALLOWED to use the computer when we are not home or when we are in bed, end of story. No exceptions.
    army_wife2000

Answer by army_wife2000 at 11:32 PM on May. 17, 2009

• go to www.covenanteyes.org and www.family.org.
    I think both sites let you know
    A. this is a huge temptation for men and boys
    B. help you find out how to protect him
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:48 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Also, read Breaking Free by Russel Willingham, and don't read Every Man's Battle. Breaking Free is so much better.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:49 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I would just sit down and have the sex talk with him! I wouldnt allow him to look at the porn, but there really is nothing wrong with it at his age. So keep the parent controlls on the computer. When you talk to him about it do not make him feel ashamed of what he was doing, he is a normal boy. I think I would be more worried if he wasnt trying!
    Anonymous

• www.family org will help you see the dangers of porn. it is so difficult because it's on their minds (sex anyway) because of their ages and how God made them, but then other boys are talking porn, and porn is SO easy to find...It is dangerous and addictive tho.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:53 PM on May. 17, 2009

• wow hes 14 and alot of 14 year olds do that..id have the sex talk with him...and make sure the parental blocks are on next time. Porn can be addicting and it can also cause computer problems..I really wouldnt worry that much about him looking at porn though because everyone his age does it...its when you find him doing it all the time you have to worry
    Anonymous

• When my son did this, we did not allow him on the computer unsupervised. We took the power cord to our room with us at night. It's a hassle, but it was that important and worth it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:35 PM on May. 17, 2009

• totally typical behavior from a 14 year old, but not acceptable. buy some blockers, discuss with him, find a consequence, and tell him it is illegal until he is 18.
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:56 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I would add a password for the internet. I think u or ur husband should have the talk. I also belive this is normal due to his age. Don't make him feel ashamed just let him know that isn't something that u r gonna tolerate and this si his first warning.I think grounding him is a good punishment for breaking the rules. He probably won't wanna tell his buddies what he was doin when they ask him y he's grounded.
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 12:01 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I've always talked to my guys about the fact that curiosity is normal & natural, but that satisfying that curiosity with porn in not a healthy choice. I've told than how addictive experts have proven it to be & how it can effect them badly later in life when they are married too. Hope that helps.
    theMammaof3

Answer by theMammaof3 at 12:19 AM on May. 18, 2009