• In the Spotlight:

im 16 and found out that im pregnant. How do i tell my parents?

im very scared to tell my parents that im pregnant. What should i do because i want to keep the baby.

MelissaNoelle

Asked by MelissaNoelle at 9:00 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The only thing you CAN do is tell them. Its not like they wouldn't notice your belly getting the size of a beach ball, or the fact that you are throwing up every morning, or the fact that your feet swell if you stand for too long.

They are your parents. They love you. Yes, they will be pissed at first, and probably get irrational. However, you need to respect that. They will calm down, and in the end they will support you.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 9:03 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Sit them down and just tell them tell them you got pregnant and your keeping the baby no matter what. Its better to just be honest I was scared as shit when I had to tell my dad but he ended up being alot more supportive then I expected.
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 9:04 PM on May. 17, 2009

• do you have a youth pastor or councelor or teahcer that you can talk to that can help you tell your parents?
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:04 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I don't know your parents but i remember how nervous I was and I was 22. I think the best way is to sit down with them and tell them you have something to tell them and want there support. you understand if they are upset but its something you want to go through with. Do you have a job? If not I would get one now before you show and tell them you will help as much as possible. Babies are VERY EXPENSIVE. you really need to think hard about this cuz if you have this baby your life will change. NO going out whenever you want. No more sleeping in. There is a lot you have to give up to be a mom but it all is worth it once they are in your arms and you see them grow and become themselves. I think you just need to tell them at dinner with just you and them. No boyfriend,siblings. Also tell them you don't have to tell me how you feel about this now but I just wanted to let you know how you feel. Write these things down that you want
    Anonymous

• I went with my sister to tell my mom when she was pregnant at 17. You've just got to come out with it. "I'm pregnant and I am keeping my baby". It would help if you had a plan for finishing school or working to share with them...but ultimately you need to just get it on the table so you can get the medical care you need.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:07 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I was 15 when I had to tell my parents that I was pregnant! It was a really hard thing to do, I felt so disappointed in myself, and for letting them down too. My parents asked me what I wanted to do, and I choose to keep my son. It was not easy but we did it, I went to school graduated, and now I am in college! You just have to be determined. I am sorry to say but there is no easy way to tell them! Just tell your parents you need to talk to them and tell them. They will be shocked, but once that wears off they will still love you! I promise! I was crying so hard that I could barly get the words out when I told my parents. And when I did My mom began to cry, and asked to see my stomach, and then asked what i wanted to do then walked out of the house and drove away. She later told me she just drove around for a while. She has done nothing but support my decisions since. She loves her grandson more than anything!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:07 PM on May. 17, 2009

• cont. ---want to say to them. The reasons you want to keep the baby. There is a lot to talk about it won't just be your life that changes with this pregnancy it will be your parents life to. theres always open adoption. Good luck!!
    Anonymous

• I was 17 when I got pregnant, I told my mom first and then she told my dad but I think you should tell them both at the same time and then leave for awhile so they can take it all in. Or my friend also got pregnant at 17 and she left a note and the first ultrasound picture for them to see. The note said I'm sorry I know I messed up and I am already disappointed in myself and stuff like that like how you feel. But you just have to really find out the best way for you and your situation to tell them. They will be surprised at first but once they take it in I think they will back you 100%
    Kaylee22006

Answer by Kaylee22006 at 9:10 PM on May. 17, 2009

• When you tell them have a plan that you can tell them about so that they know that you have things under control. Explain if you plan to finish school or get a job and get your equivalency diploma later on.Or that you will get job training and what daycare you plan to put the child in. Explain how you plan to provide for your child and where you plan to live. How the baby's father will contribute to the baby's care. What your plans are for the future. If you have made mature plans for the future, then this will assure your parents that you are ready for the important decision to conceive and have a child.

Answer by Bmat at 9:12 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I wish there was an easy answer for any of us to give to you, or an easy way for you to tell your parents. I'm 22 and I live with my grandparents (have my whole life) and I am still trying to figure out how to tell my grandfather. My grandmother knows and is excited but I;m scared to tell my grandfather. But i agree with some of the other posts. You should think about what youre going to do. Whether youre going to get a job and get your GED, and then maybe take a few years off from school and go back to college eventually. It may sound better if you have a plan. Either way its going to be hard. My boyfriends friend told him to just do it like a band aid and get it over with, cause the longer you wait the harder it will be. But good luck! I hope it works out!
    Heathxo

Answer by Heathxo at 9:34 PM on May. 17, 2009