Litter box?

Where do you keep your litter box!?
We are getting kittens from MIL in a few weeks & I cant think of where to put a litter box! The kitchen has great corners but EWW... and the living room it could be out of site a lil' but eww... our bathroom is too small... and we keep our bedroom door closed so DD (2.5) wont get into our stuff..
:(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Pets

• We live in a older house....if i had cat/kitten the litter box would be under the sink....i litter trained 2 chihuahua's.....their litter box was kept under the sink in the bathroom....it was one of those sinks that have the metal legs....2 in the front holding up sink in the front.....Diane :-)
    dichihuahua

Answer by dichihuahua at 11:01 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My bathroom is small too, but I keep it in there because same thing didnt want it in the kitchen, and didnt want the livingroom smelling. Maybe if u have a basement you could put it down there! I know once we buy a house that is where it is going to go!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:31 PM on May. 17, 2009

• We keep ours in the bathroom right now. It's the only place for it even though it's small. Another good place in the laundry area if you have one. Just scoop it out multiple times a day and change the whole litter box once a week to keep it from smelling things up! GL
    BritlovesAva

Answer by BritlovesAva at 9:33 PM on May. 17, 2009

• utility room.
    Anonymous

• In a small bathroom, could you set it in the shower or bathtub? and then remove the trays and sanitize the area before use? Or if the kitchen has places, perhaps you could partition off a small area so it wouldn't be visible- well for sure the litter should not be visible in the kitchen, that would be just gross. I am thinking of a table with a cloth over it hanging down to the floor and the boxes under this. Also, those litter boxes with lids are good for hiding the litter, especially if the opening is pointed to the wall instead of the room. When the boxes are in your living area, instead of the basement, for example, you should clean them out several times a day, or after each use even better, just for the sake of keeping things from smelling. And for sure use scoopable litter, since it is easiest to keep much cleaner.

Answer by Bmat at 9:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• To answer the question better, we keep ours in the basement, and there is a kitty door in our basement door so that the cats can get up and down without the door to the basement needing to stay open. When the kitties were babies, we kept a litter box with a lid in the bigger bathroom, keeping the opening facing away from the rest of the room, and I did clean it several times a day.

Answer by Bmat at 9:47 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I would recommend anywhere without a carpet. And it isn't really that eww if it is scooped often...however, how old are the kids...they aren't crawling around and putting things in their mouths are they?? Now that is EWW
    T45

Answer by T45 at 10:36 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Ours is in the closet in a bathroom upstairs which we use for storage so it's out of sight/smell...is you want you can get one that has the shelter and the door and put it in the kitchen.... it's not gross if you clean it everyday.....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:01 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Do you have a hall or linen closet that you could do without? We have a long hall closet here, and used to have two linen closets in our old house. We basically emptied them, painted them with high gloss paint, installed cat doors, vinyl flooring, an exhaust fan, outlet (to plug in a nightlight and odor neutralizer), and shelving for bags, scoop, baking soda, etc. In our long closet here, we put a screen in the middle, and have a high backed litter box on each side of it. In our old house, we had one box in each closet (it was a two story home, so we had one upstairs and one downstairs). This works really well for us. We have 13 indoor only cats. We have our two very special needs cats in their own room with their own litter box, and that door stays shut. But we have 11 cats that have "free reign" of the house, using the two other boxes, and you can't smell "cat" in my house. I change the litter every other day.
    MrsGurt

Answer by MrsGurt at 2:50 AM on May. 18, 2009

• My cat's litter box is sitting next to washer & dryer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 AM on May. 18, 2009