Do parents really smack their teens in the mouth?

My last question, a couple people said that they would do that, but I thought that was bad parenting. Can/should I really do that?

felicia0923

Asked by felicia0923 at 9:31 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I have popped my dd in the mouth. Something equivelent to when you tap a toddlers hand for touching something they shouldn't have. It's more for the shock affect than pain. I've washed my dd's mouth out with soap and I've spanked her too. Say what you will about me but my daughter was out of control and something had to be done. We tried everything else first. I don't go straight to popping her in the mouth or spanking her. I have not had to even so much as ground her in the last year. She is well behaved and happy.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 9:48 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My mom did me. One time she hit my lip on my braces and I started to bleed. I tried to make her feel bad and told her she made me bleed. She said, had you not been flapping your lips then I wouldn't have caught the thin part of your lip. lol I had no sympathy
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 9:33 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My mom smacked me in my mouth once when I was about 12 or 13 when I was back talking her, she used the back of her hand and gave me a fat lip because of her rings! I never back talked again though!
    mrsmamaj

Answer by mrsmamaj at 9:34 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Only one person said they would smack their kid in the mouth. Several said they had had it happen to them, but times have changed. Smacking kids in the mouth is no longer the norm.
    Anonymous

• No there were 2 people who said that :

* mominbolt and

* bamabellemommy
    felicia0923

Answer by felicia0923 at 9:38 PM on May. 17, 2009

• When I was a child I was hit, I would never do that to my child, no matter what they did or their age. I think there are other punishments you can do like grounding, taking away the phone, even volunteering at shelters so that kids can see the hardship others have and should respect their parents and all the work they put into giving them a good life.
    Anonymous

• LOL a_and_j_momma

I have been smacked in the mouth by mother too for back talking and I will not have a problem doing it to mine if need be. Sometimes a smack in mouth is needed.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:40 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My mother used to smack me in the mouth for saying good night in the wrong tone so I always said I would NEVER slap my son in the mouth, however a few months back he was in a nasty mood and called me a fing b in a tone very much like his bio father and I smacked him in the mouth. I immediately felt bad, but also don't think he will ever say that again and know that I will never hit him again.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:51 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Unfortunately, times have changed. Instead of having strong disciplining parents, these days, parents just wanna be their kids' friends and are nothing but 1, 2, 3 counting pushovers. If my teen sassed me or mouthed off to me you better believe I'd smack them in the mouth. Why not. I am appalled at the way teens today talk to their parents and instead of dealing with it, they just wanna whine and cry about how out of control their teen is. If parents train and teach their children what is and is not acceptable behavior starting when they are babies and stayed consistent with it throughout their childhood years, they wouldn't have rebellious, smart-mouthed teens.

Anonymous

• "My mom did me. One time she hit my lip on my braces and I started to bleed. I tried to make her feel bad and told her she made me bleed. She said, had you not been flapping your lips then I wouldn't have caught the thin part of your lip. lol I had no sympathy "

haha. Sorry, but that is funny. But um, once your kid gets a certain age, if you try "spanking" them or "smacking"...they can press charges for assault. A family member of mine got pregnant and her dad "spanked" her. She was 16!! Anywho when she told the couselor they called the cops and they were urging her to press charges. But she didn't.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:53 PM on May. 17, 2009