Only parents that believe in spanking what do you do when spanking or no other disipline work? My DD is 4 and she is imbarassingly bad like you can't go out in public with her unless you get an extra shopping cart to put her in it I also have a 16 month old so I end up having to get 2 carts to put her in one then one for my 4 year old cause she doesn't listen.

I spank, I tried time outs, I tried sending her to her room, I tried grounding her from friends or from stuff she really likes to do I have throwen toys away nothing works with her she is sooooooooo stuburn I MEAN STUBURN so what do you do when no disipline works what so ever? She is getting worse and so bad to where she is imbarrasing and she has like no fear or anything. Someone walks down the street and she will run up to them and give them a hug never seen them before one time she about ran up to a guy walking up the street I talked to her about doing that and doesn't work. She is getting so bad she is teaching her 16 month old sister stuff so then she isn't listening much. But what do you do if your child doesn't listen and nothing else works? Basicly how can you disipline a really really REALLY STUBURN CHILD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on May. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• My dd was like that. I would spank her and she would laugh or go "Hahah that didn't hurt". She would touch everything in the store and knock stuff over. Grounding seemed to be pretty effective. I took everything away. She would go to school, and come home and go straight to her room. She wasn't allowed out except to go to the bathroom, eat dinner, and take a shower. We took everything out of her room that was even remotely entertaining. No books, no toys, nothing! That helped but eventually we had to put her in counseling. She had boundry issues. We can go in the store now and she doesn't touch anything. Most of the time I don't have to remind her. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:30 PM on May. 17, 2009

• It's all about consistency. I spank and it works for me but you really need to be consistent with ANY form of discipline that you decide to do.
    Anonymous

• I think dd is oldest to know proper behavior but doesn't want to cuz her age and maybe you're not hard enough. I explained rules ahead of time and going into and in store. If my middle and youngest misbhaved loudly and horribly combined we left no matter what we were shopping for. sometimes we went back and other times not for days. but soon good social manners were more u nderstood. Kids have to be reminded constantly at all ages. There's not too much difference in behavior of kids your ages or mine (youngest a teen and others in twenties) even now. My teen sometimes still we leave stores if she really witchy. If she wants my money or me to drive her then respect has to be given reasonably well.
    Anonymous

• Why can't she walk in the store? Is she going to touch stuff? Well we adults touch things, too and as long as we don't break anything, and learn to put things back where they belong, it's fine.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 9:46 PM on May. 17, 2009

• She isn't just bad in public she is bad at home too. She runs around at home she cannot sit still for more than 2 minutes if that. And for TXADANIELLY's question.....She touches stuff, but like today at the store we were in the fishing section she is taking the bobbers out of the little bin they were in putting them in another bin and mixing up stuff I tell her to stop 3 times before spanking her for not listening she crys then gos back to doing it again after she is done crying. It isn't just that she trys running up aisles she will put her hands on the floor and try doing a slip in the middle of the store she will start spinning in the middle of the floor in the aisle all that it is like she has ants in her pants lol she cannot just stand there for more than 2 minutes maybe less than that. We can't even take her if I take my other DD to dr's or me cause she starts misbehaving
    Anonymous

• make sure if you punish her one day for something and she does it the next day you still punish, even when you are tired of doing the same thing over and over again. when it comes to going into stores, put her in a second cart if you have to, or if your 16 month old is a better listener and will stay with you, you can let her walk (or get a child leash for the younger one) seeing her little sister walk all the time while she can't may help there. but really its making sure you punish her each time she does something. i'm at the last week of my pregnancy, my dd is 3, dh is deployed and there are days i'm just not up to it, but i have to remind myself w/dd's personality if she gets away with it once she'll try that plus something next time and it'll be that much harder for it to work. my dd is the same way, if i tell her shes about to get a spanking she laughs and says ok mommy come get me! and runs like its a game.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:56 PM on May. 17, 2009

• teach her to obey on the first command, if she does something wrong don't tell her that THREE TIMES, after you told her no the first time and she didn't listen spank her then, be consistent, EVERY time she doesn't listen the FIRST time, spank her, she'll get the picture. But by telling her 3 times and then spanking her and then not removing her from that section of the store (or the store altogether) she is learning that I can still get away with whatever I want to do, because it'll take mommy a lot before she spanks me.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the posts saying to stick with it and be consistant. With my kids, 3 and 4 I explain what is expected of them before we go into a store/restaurant. Up to 5 min before we get there I ask them what is appropriate and what is not. I have walked them out of somewhere, put them back in the car and gone home. I've told them that no one get's to stay because they can't behave and next time I'll go with out them. It's hard I know, I'm also doing all this with my 1 yr old in tow on my own. My DS responds more to spanks, he also comments that it didn't hurt. I tell him that it's not supposed to hurt it's a punishment. My DD responds more to timeouts. I took her first privelidge away from her last week, no dresses, lol. They loose privelidges they love and are part of every day. They may earn them back with good behaviour, minimun of 3 days of great behaviour!
    Good luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:46 AM on May. 18, 2009