For Moms Who Had or Have Preclampsia...

My doctor said there is a good chance I have Preclampsia (I am currently 16weeks along) & am suppose to be checking my blood pressure every time I get a headache (which is almost daily). She said if it is above 130 with a headache I should probably go to the ER to be checked. This seems a little low to me, but I just check & am at 130/76 with a pulse of 102. I was wondering for those with experience if I should check again in an hour or so to see if it was just over exertion, or if I should just go now. I am new with this & not sure exactly what to be concerned about. Any advice?

WannabeMommy87

Asked by WannabeMommy87 at 9:39 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 130 does seem a little low. My dr. told me 140/90 as well. My dr. told me about the headache part too but when I got a headache my blood pressure was actually going down. Are you spilling protien in your urine? If not then so far what it would be is PIH (Pregnancy induced hypertension) which could lead to pre-eclampsia. If you do end up with Pre-E please make sure they limit your fluid intake after labor. They didn't with me and delivering my dd didn't make it go away. I'm not trying to scare you but it seems a lot of Dr.'s don't do it. I've had it twice so if you have any questions feel free to PM me.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 10:02 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My dr told me to call her immediately if mine got to 140/90 or I had a severe headache that tylenol wouldn't cure. If she wants you to call then call, it wouldn't hurt. I don't know that I would high tail it to the ER just yet though.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 9:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• thats not a bad reading
    140 and up / 80 and up id go in
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Oh I almost forgot, a few times mine did jump into the 140/80s and I would lay down on my left side for a while and it went back down every time after about an hour of rest. My dr told me that the left side provides best blood circulation so your bp will be slightly lower on that side.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 9:45 PM on May. 17, 2009

• thank you all for your answers! i just tested again & i got a 128/74 with a pulse of 89...my headache is still persistent, but i will continue to rest & check ever hour or so... =) any other info or suggestions or advice is still & always welcome. thank you all again!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 10:13 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Also try a diet of high lean protein and high fiber whole grains.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:24 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Were you walking around before you took it. My BP always spiked if I walked. My dr told all the nurses not to take my BP when I got there, have me lay on my left side for 20 minutes and she would be in after to check. I was induced with BP of 150/100
    mommyin07n08

Answer by mommyin07n08 at 1:39 AM on May. 18, 2009