What kind of dog?

Is good with babies, teens? Small apartment dog would you recommend?

MinnieMouse8

Asked by MinnieMouse8 at 9:53 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Pets

• If the youngsters in your household are under seven years old, they are usually not developmentally suited for puppies 5 months old and under or toy-sized (under 15 pounds) dogs of any age. Puppies have ultra sharp "milk teeth" and toenails and often teethe on and scratch children, resulting in unintentional injury to the child. The puppy becomes something to be feared rather than loved.

Toy dogs are fine-boned, touch-sensitive creatures that do not weather rough or clumsy handling well. They break relatively easily and are quicker to bite than their larger boned, mellower relatives.

Compliments of Petfinder.com
    T45

Answer by T45 at 10:34 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I think I well trained pomeranian. Chihuahua are generally not good children dogs. Or A weener dog!
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:37 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I think weiner dogs are good children dogs...i reread my last post and saw how you could have confused my meaning and thought id make it clear. I think when the child can talk and is potty trained its ok for them to have a dog so IDK what this 7 years of age nonesence is! But i do agree with the puppy thing...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:39 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I'm sorry, but i don't agree....my kids were raised around Chihuahua's....u need to teach children the do's & don't s in being around small breeds.....36 yrs later, we have 11 grand kids & all of them play with our chihuahua's....no one has been hurt by a chihuahua nor has the chihuahua's hurt any children....u need to socialize ur (cha-huey-huey's) chihuahua's....lol....Diane :-)
    dichihuahua

Answer by dichihuahua at 10:54 PM on May. 17, 2009

• We have German Shepherds, I know you're in an apartment but with daily walking/excersise, they can be awesome dogs with adults and children. Ours are very protective and loving.
    No matter what you choose, if you are wanting a purebred, or a mixed breed, look into adoption, there are many different rescues for all breeds, and they can help match the right dog to your family. Goodluck!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:15 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Talk to small breed rescues in your area and tell them what you're looking for. Most rescues house their dogs in foster homes, so these dogs are generally better trained, well on their way to being housetrained and crate trained (if they're not fully trained already), and have basic house manners. They've also been spayed/neutered, microchipped, fully vaccinated, etc, and because they've been fostered, they've been temperament tested with other dogs, cats, children, men, teens, etc. You can also often have the option of fostering a dog for a week or two yourself prior to finalizing the adoption...a trial period...and absolute worst case, you ALWAYS have the option (and are actually required to) of return the dog to the rescue without having to worry about where the dog will end up.
    MrsGurt

Answer by MrsGurt at 2:39 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Dont go with to small of a dog a friend of mine did that and her 3yo broke the dogs leg because she picked him up and threw him. Pomeranian is good because they arnt to small. But im not sure other that that little bit of imput. Sry i cant be more help.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 8:32 AM on May. 18, 2009

• a standard poodle. they have low energy and love kids. plus they don't shed and are hypoallergenic. weener dogs bark a lot so if you live in apartment your neighbors will not like that. chi's tend to develop small dog syndrome so any type breed dog has to be disciplined just as much as a large breed. they tend to bite more. i like both big and small breeds. i just got a shih tzu and i have both a boxer and standard poodle. i would never recommend a boxer for apartment living that is harsh cause they need lots of attention and space. i love my standard and was lucky to find her real cheap. look up dog breeds at dogbreeds.com and educate yourself on breed types. like train ability, energy level etc.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:14 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Jack russel teriorers, they are super friendly and need lots of excersise, so it will keep the kids in the back yard during oprah!
    Anonymous

• Most small dogs are not meant for apartments...they usually need more exercise than playtime...a good apartment dog is a mastiff:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:52 PM on May. 18, 2009