Do you think that younger generations feel more entitlement?

Do you think that younger people feel more entitled to things than older people? For example, I think of my grandparents and parents. They are hard working people who've struggled all their lives to make ends meet. Never once did I hear, "well, we've paid taxes, so we should get welfare or foodstamps"

Do you think that the further away from the "Depression era" or the "stories" of those times, the more the entitlement goes up and personal accountability goes down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think as the world moves further and further away from values, morals, and the difference between right and wrong, that is where the change in attitude is coming from. When my parents and grandparents were kids they were taught to work for the things they wanted or needed, they had to do chores around the house, and if you did something wrong, you actually got in trouble for it. Now, people want to blame all their troubles on someone else. It is never their own fault. Kids get everything handed to them, so in turn they feel like they shouldn't have to work for things...that they are somewhat "entitled" to them. If they do something wrong, they get a slap on the hand, IF THAT, so they continue to run wild. My grandma can't believe the things she sees in the world today, and frankly neither can I.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:09 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Yes. I feel more and more children of the "everyone gets a trophy" parenting/mentality grow up to feel entitled.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:12 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I agree with Ash and Grly. 100%
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:18 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Yes I do. People aren't held accountable anymore. They settle for "just good enough" and don't strive to do better for themselves because they've never had to. In the age of the "instant", it's getting harder and harder to teach kids to work hard for what they want. Sometimes I wish I could give my sons EVERYTHING their heart desires, but if I did, they wouldn't learn how to earn it.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 10:19 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Yes.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:27 PM on May. 17, 2009

• How do we fix it? How do we change the demise of our society?
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:29 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Lead by example.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:31 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I hate when people say that it is such a shame about young people today. My response is that it is such a shame about parents today. What is wrong with parents who raise children to be uncaring.
    Anonymous

i totally agree. it is the parents at fault not the kids. if you give your kids what ever they want when they want it they never learn to work for any thing and feel that accomplishment. parents are at fault also because they really do not know how to parent. food stamps and such should only be used when you really really need it. not because you think that you deserve it.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 11:25 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I agree Anon :50.. I think parents today are afraid of their children. They don't want to let them down, and they want to keep up or out do the next family. It's pathetic. We honestly don't worry about what others do, our kids have chores, have to earn their place. They will be held accountable, and we demand respect. Some think we're too strict, too tough, but we get compliments on our children everywhere we take them. I'm proud of our boys! It's a hard job being an active parent, but I wouldn't trade it for the world!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:26 PM on May. 17, 2009