I'm a SAHM so tecnically I do not personally help pay bills, so what do I tell my teen she needs to respect my phone rules because she does not pay the bill, because she comes back with "You don't either!"

felicia0923

Asked by felicia0923 at 10:09 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• You tell her that you being home is a decision that you and your DH thought was best for the family and that while you don't bring in any money you are still her parent and make the rules.
    Alternately your could jokingly to gross her out say "yeah well dad pays me for services'
    Anonymous

• honestly i think i'd just tell her to get over it that you're the boss. but if you feel the need to explain things to her, than you tell her i stay home and take care of the house, errands, kids, etc...so i DO contribute more to the household than you think, but that either way your the mom and you make the rules so she has to follow them. if she wants to have her own rules for the phone than she can get a job and pay for one herself until then she'll follow the rules you and her father (or whoever) set for her.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:11 PM on May. 17, 2009

• OK when you have children are in school all day that is not SAHM that is unemployed... she's right concede
    Anonymous

• You do pay the bills. You and your dh have agreed that you will stay home and work so the money he earns is both of your communal money. So you do pay the bills just like your dh.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:12 PM on May. 17, 2009

• You certainly do help to pay the bills by working in your home and watching what you by to help save money and you save the cost of day care, a housekeeper, etc. that might very well have to be paid otherwise. You saving and doing that those costly jobs yourself. If she were my kid she'd be out of a phone. Take it away plus two other privileges. You tell her a phone cell or her own landline are not rights they are earned priviliges and she just unearned them. Even if she were to get a job and pay herself some how if she's in your home and not yet graduated from high school your rules win. I think she needs to be treat her like the child she is acting like for a while.
    Anonymous

• Let her do her own laundry, shop for her own food, cook her own food, buy her own clothes, and take herself to school. Then, let her dad explain to her that you are equal partners, and you share the workload. His work is bringing home a paycheck. Your work is taking care of everything else. Let her handle it for a few days and see what she thinks.
    Anonymous

• i like second Anon answer...gross her out LMAO. but i'm with anon :16...let her handle it.
    Anonymous

• I would tell mine in same situation ( which HAS come up!) Because I am The MOM, end of question. when YOU are the Mom you can do what you want. HOLD YOUR GROUND!!! She is testing you!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:24 PM on May. 17, 2009

Are you kidding me!!!!!! How can you tell this parent to give her child permission to be disrespectful. She is the parent. Her child needs to learn to respect that. Being a SAHM does not make her any less valuable than a mom who works outside the home. You should be ashamed of yourself. Many, many moms stay at home. Their contribution to their home is immense. Felicia, don't allow your child to be disrespectful. Punish her for that. Stop doing the things you do for her and have her do them herself. There is more to life and family than the all mighty dollar.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:28 PM on May. 17, 2009

• i agree with the tell her your the MOM and thats why period! Your the boss and thats it you didnt carry her for however many weeks (im assuming 40ish) for her to be direspectful and if she has a problem with it TOUGH
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 10:36 PM on May. 17, 2009