Tips on Number 2 Potty training? My daughter will be 3 next month and she still does number 2 in her pants HELP!

She ALWAYS pees in the potty though.

felicia0923

Asked by felicia0923 at 10:17 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 3 as well. What I did was (this may sound cruel but it is well worth it after a couple of days) by this point you should be able to pin point when she is pooping. My son has a certain time of day he goes. In the morning. but anyway., I had my son, sit on the potty and was not allowed to get up until he pooped. and when he finally did we made a very big deal out of it. we say YAY!! JAkie you are such a big boy. and we tell him to say bye bye poop..after three days of sitting on the potty until he pooped, he tells me every time he has to go with no accidents. It has been 4 weeks now and is still going strong. We never spent anymore than 30 minutes in the bathroom. He did cry a lot of the time, but we finally worked through it.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:22 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My 2 year old helps clean up her accidents. It's not punishment. It's just like knocking over a glass of water, which is also something a 2 year old frequently does and can't help. "uh oh! We have an accident, clean up." If they are capable of not pooping in their pants, they won't, because they don't want to clean it up! We have more knocked over water cups than poopy pants these days. I always help, so it's time consuming at first. But it gives her control over her body.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:50 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I wouldn't force the kids to sit on the potty till they go. That's just mean IMO. But maybe what I will suggest you will think is mean....Have her help you clean her pants. IDK, my two year old is potty trained and trained by 18 months.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:51 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I would NOT have your dd sit there til she poops. That may cause stress and cause her to not want to go potty at all and could cause her to become constipated. Our job as parents is to TEACH our children how to do things not force. Just explain what a mess it is to clean up the poop and how much easier it is to poop in the toilet and watch it flush down. Explain poop goes in the potty. When she poops in her panties, flush it down the toilet to teach her that that's where it needs to go. My daughter likes knowing her poop is going into pipes under the house. She finds it interesting. Also, NO PULL UPS!! They are too comfortable to poop and pee in. Panties work much better. My dd will be 3 in June too.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 1:04 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I stand by sitting there until he poops. I knew when he had to poop. He would squeeze his butt cheeks together and walk on his tip toes. It only took me 3 days to potty train him with pooping. Even my husband, mother, grand mother, dad, brother. etc believe I did a great job doing what I did to potty train my son. and it does not cause stress or constipation.

She asked for opinions, I gave her what worked for me...I don't care if you think it was cruel, You were not there and it wasn't..it just sounds cruel. I let him have a book so he could read it like his daddy does when he poops. he didn't cry the whole time. but when I WAS FED UP WITH HIM ALWAYS CLEANING UP AFTER HIS ACCIDENTS I made him stay on the potty until he pooped. SO I GUESS THAT MAKES ME A BAD MOM...THEN SO BE IT...YOU ALL THINK YOU ARE SO MUCH BETTER I GUESS??
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:17 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Haha wow. Someone can't handle others disagreeing with her I guess. My daughter became really constipated after some stress from me making her sit there when I knew she had to poop. She regressed badly in potty training in December after one of those incidents. It took months to get her to even try to go potty again. So, while it may work for some, I personally would not recommend that.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 8:59 AM on May. 22, 2009