Is a bottle better then a sippy?

I keep hearing that a sippy is just as bad as a bottle. Why is that and do you agree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't agree w/that. My son is almost 8mos old & has never had a bottle ( other than when he was first born & had to be supplemented ), he is breast fed & drinks from a sippy cup. He only drinks a little bit of water or diluted apple/prune juice but he mastered a sippy cup @ 5mos old! He also dont take pacifiers either ( that was his choice I offered it ). He dont go to sleep w/his cup either he actually sips from it throughout the day. He is a independent lil guy LOL.
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 10:28 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I disagree. I was always told that the baby should be off the bottle by a year old (My son was 15 months) each few months the stage of the cup changes. I use playtex I used the drop ins bottles and then there was cups for 6 months it had a long spout and handles. Then for 9 months the spout was still long but it had no handles. for 12 months the spout got shorter for 2 years there is no spout. So as the child gets older the spout gets shorter. Its better for their teeth and teaches them how to drink from a cup with no top.
    Kryssi17

Answer by Kryssi17 at 10:30 PM on May. 17, 2009

• OP...Thats what I thought,the sippy is better for their teeth but i have heard from a lot of moms on here that its not any better. i will ask my sons dentist. He loves his bottle but soon I am going to start giving him only water in it and no milk. He only gets watered down juice in his sippy cup,NEVER in his bottle.
    Anonymous

• A sippy is no better for their teeth. The problem with bottles and/or sippy cups is in how they are used. The problem is when the child walks around all day with a sippy or bottle in their mouth that is full of sugar (which means juice, milk, anything but water). With it constantly in their mouth, their teeth are bathed in sugar all day long. The "no spill" sippy cups and bottles make this possible. The toddler can carry it around and sip on it all day with little or no mess for mom!
    A sippy or bottle is fine, not bad for the teeth when it is used like you use a regular cup (only at meal time or when you are thirsty) or the breast (bottle is a substitute breast) meaning specific times in the day/night when mom is holding them, they are not carrying it around all day.
    This is why they say get rid of the bottle at 12 months old. Notice you are encouraged to BF for at least 2 years, a toddler cannot walk around with a breast
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:46 PM on May. 17, 2009

• maggiesmom, I just envisioned my toddler walking around with a breast. Thank you for a laugh!!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 10:47 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I agree wtih maggiesmom. My DD was mostly BF (had formula at first because I was in a coma) and then at 6 months we gave her a regular cup.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:49 PM on May. 17, 2009

• mine has a hard time with sippy cups and is almost 14 months old- I heard to get off the bottle between 12 to 18 months, He still drinks bottles and every now and then we try sippy cups that don't spill with the nipple things on them for an easier transition, any other tips?
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 11:03 PM on May. 17, 2009

• A sippy is as bad as a bottle, that is what my dentist said, and with a little research I found it to be true. The problem is that both of them allow for milk to pool around the teeth, if a sippy is used properly...like a real cup then that would lower it's "badness" the problem is that they are used in place of a bottle and that is how little ones use them
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:04 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Why on earth would a parent allow a kid to walk around the house with either a bottle or a sippy? I mean, I don't think I've ever seen an older kid or an adult walk around all day lugging a drink around with them.

A sippy is better than the bottle for development of the mouth muscles. They have to use different muscles to drink from a sippy than they do from a bottle. Drinking from a straw uses even more different muscles as does drinking from a regular cup.

If you're making sure the toddler is properly brushing his or her teeth, the teeth issue is a non-issue anyway.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:43 AM on May. 18, 2009

• A sippy is better. Past the age of two, your child should only be drinking water; letting the child walk around the house with a sippy encourages healty hydration. It is best to have a Sigg or other stainless steel.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:26 PM on May. 18, 2009