When did you take away the sippy?

Did you wait until their 3rd birthday? 2nd birthday? Just wondering.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on May. 17, 2009 in General Parenting

• my daughter is 3 1/2 she still has it, my friends son just turned 4 he still has his. when we go out to eat or are sitting at the table she drinks from a kids size real cup, but when in the car or running around playing, she will just drop a cup or put it down somewhere and not remember where or not realize its spilled so she still has a sippy then. i figure around between 4 1/2-5 it will be gone completely
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:26 PM on May. 17, 2009

• i stop the sippy somewhere around 2- right around the time they become potty trained
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 11:02 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My older kids had them for a long time because the youngest of them is really flighty. She would have spilled everything if we took the cups away. She needed a sippy until she was 4. Therefore my older kids kept using them (because she would take their cups). They were 5 and 6. Although my oldest figured out that to use a regular cup she had to put it up high in the kitchen where her sister couldn't reach.
    My youngest stopped using one around the time she turned 2. She had been drinking from a straw since 6 months and using a regular cup since 18 months. A little after she turned 2 I tossed all but 2 cups (for the car) and a few months later I got rid of them, too. She was hardly ever using them and was drinking from a regular water bottle in the car. By 2 1/2 she was filling her own cup up from the water dispenser in the fridge.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:03 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I took my kids sippy cups away when they were about 18 months. They only drank water and apple juice so nothing that would stain. I worked on it with them for about a week and then had very few spills. I only used plastic cups though. I think it was easier to take it away because they never had a bottle. I think it's whenever you feel they are ready within a reasonable age. I think like a bottle, it isn't good for the teeth.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:18 PM on May. 17, 2009

• My daughter is 2.5 and she's graduated from a sippy cup to a regular cup with a straw..she can drink without the straw but refuses too..lol. She still uses a sippy cup but it looks more like a travel coffee mug so we call it her 'travel cup" because she mostly uses it when we go out somewhere.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 12:45 PM on May. 18, 2009

• OP...thanks ladies.
    Anonymous

• Why would you even start sippy cups? Kids can learn to drink out of a REAL cup from 4-5 months, if you help them. A waste of money and a bad habit, if you ask me!
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 9:01 PM on May. 19, 2009