Co Sleeping--

I have been out of work for sometime now, and had to move back home with my mom and family--the problem is, me and my now 1 year old will share a room, and its not big enough for his crib and my bed. The only solution i had is to share my bed with him--but I am afraid if I start doing that, when I am back on my feet and out on my own again---how hard will it be to get him back into his own bed? When he was first born, we did a combination of crib and co sleeping since i was nursing-and the transition to him sleeping on his own was fine...I just worry now that he is older...what I should do!!!! We cant afford a smaller bed or crib.

chaoshappens

Asked by chaoshappens at 10:26 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you dont have room for another bed you can do one of two things, there are additions that can connect to your bed where it slides under your mattress and its like your LO has their own bed but it is connected with yours or you can co-sleep. I personally did the same thing you did when my LO was smaller, but she sleeps through the night so it is back to her bed by herself now. If you cannot afford another crib, and you dont have the room your options are limited and I totaly understand that. I know a lot of parents that co-sleep and everything is fine, it is up to you and only you can make the decison on what is best for you and your LO. Hang in there the tough times are just that and things will be looking up soon. Take care and God Bless.
    snowbaby99brk

Answer by snowbaby99brk at 10:33 PM on May. 17, 2009

• cross that bridge when you get to it for now enjoy the time together..think of it this way when he's 25 he wont want to sleep in your bed :) REALLY enjoy it my 4 going on 5 year old who I co bedded with for the first 18 months of her life just told me to get my own tent for camping this summer ! I had all to do not to cry
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:34 PM on May. 17, 2009

• put him in a dresser drawer on the floor with blankets inside thats what some people do But I think thats with younger babies!
    newmom179

Answer by newmom179 at 11:00 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Don't worry, you will work it out when the time comes!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:07 PM on May. 17, 2009

• women co-slept with their babies from the dawn of time until cribs came along..id take the time to enjoy it.
    momof5wi

Answer by momof5wi at 11:34 PM on May. 17, 2009

• It might be just as easy this time too. My oldest took about 2 weeks of convincing to stay in his own bed after cosleeping 18 months, and then he was fine. He LOVED his toddler bed, once we got him out of the crib into that -- my youngest slept with us til he was 10 months and transitioned almost seamlessly. As you've probably heard, every kid sleeps in their own bed eventually :) My 4 year old still climbs into my bed in the middle of the night and quietly sneaks to his corner of the bed, and it doesn't affect anyone. He can be put in his own bed just fine, and has been that way since he was about 2, 2 1/2. It's possible :)
    treehugginmama

Answer by treehugginmama at 12:02 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Once you guys get moved to your own place, you'll be able to make a big deal out of him having is own big boy room and big boy bed and get him excited about it. For now, I suggest going with the flow and enjoying this time with your snuggle buddy!! We co-sleep and love it. I know it won't last forever. For now though, it's great.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 12:56 AM on May. 18, 2009