How on earth do I make a 'whale cake'?

My five-year-old stepson really wants a whale cake for his birthday. He specifically wants a sperm whale (no joke. He's a budding oceanographer). I am an artist but NOT a baker/cake decorator/chef period. Does anyone have any ideas?

Brezer

Asked by Brezer at 10:35 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Food & Drink

• try googling it? Or E-mail Charm city cakes for suggestions if you can't afford to buy one from a bakery
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 10:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• If that doesn't work, see if he will possibly compromise for a simple blue-frosted cake, with maybe some graham cracker sand, and search around for some very realistic toy whales to decorate it with. Then he will have the toys afterward as a keepsake.

I have to say I have done some out-there cakes in my day, but this one takes the, er, cake. :O) Good luck! The only other thing I have to suggest is to get some really good pictures and just wing it. Which is what I usually do. Sometimes they were crooked or crumbling in the icing or there were other architecturally unsound issues, but no one ever seemed to noticed except when I pointed it out; the kids were always happy with the end results; and, well, no matter how they looked, they always tasted just fine.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 11:10 PM on May. 17, 2009

• i would make cupcakes and put them on a board in the shape of a sperm whale! then decorate the tops of the cupcakes and it's alot easier than doing a big ol cake!!!! good luck!
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 6:04 PM on May. 18, 2009