Is it necessary for a 10 year old to have a cell phone?

My little cousin just turned 10 in january. He's being raised by his grandparents ( My Aunt and uncle ), Because his mother just simply didn't want him. Anyway, he still has contact with his mom every weekend, and his " Nana" Recently went out and bought him a trac phone. Well, when his real mom found out about this, she was appaled that her mother would do such a thing, because she felt that it was something she herself shouldve done, even though she doesn't even want the kid, she just wants the credit for being a mom. So after she learned that he got a Trac phone, she went out and added my cousin to her family plan on her contract, and got him an IPHONE, with unlimited everything. Is this seriously neccesary? I got my first cell phone, at 16, when I got my drivers license. 16 is a reasonable age, don't you think?

lynnseyfaye

Asked by lynnseyfaye at 10:38 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I did not get a cell phone until I got married. I personally will not buy my children one because I feel like it is a way to try to keep up with my children when I should know where they are. If I dont feel like i can trust my kids then they should not be allowed to go. I am raising my children where if they tell me that they are at the neighbors house then i wll find them there, and that they did not go elsewhere instead. I am old fashioned and I know that I might need to change my ways but for now this is how I feel
    Anonymous

• My daughter's dad gave her a cell phone last year and she is 8 now.
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 10:39 PM on May. 17, 2009

• but dont you think that's a little young, or am I just overreacting?
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 10:41 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I didn't get mine either until I got my license and started driving. It is just getting younger and younger...I know two 6 y/o's in my neighborhood that have cell phones, and I always see little kids walking down the street talking on theirs...It is getting ridiculous!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 10:42 PM on May. 17, 2009

• NO, when she/he can pay for it themselves then they can have it.
    Anonymous

• ANON 9:46 , I definately agree with you. That's how I was raised, I never lied to my parents about where I was going because I liked being trusted. It's a great way to raise your kids. Good job!
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 10:52 PM on May. 17, 2009