Can fennel tea pass into breastmilk?

trying natural solutions to help my baby with gas. How much would I need to drink to give some relief to my poor baby?

Liv32

Asked by Liv32 at 10:41 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes it passes to baby-- drink 2 6 ounce cups a day
    try examining your diet though..broccoli and spinach are a huge problem if you eat it and are breastfeeding
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:44 PM on May. 17, 2009

• I dont know if fennel helps with gas but some more foods to avoid are: garlic, anything spicy, even like peperroni, beer(the gassy effects stay with you longer than the alcohol),eggs bother some babies...maybe keep a food journal to see what bothers your baby. BTW my sons doc told me recently that the studies show the simethacone drops dont help much anyway so good luck with the natural remedies...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:55 PM on May. 17, 2009

• You could also try some gripe water. I think you can buy it at Wal-Mart but we got ours at and Indian (like India) grocery store.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:00 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Foods that make mom gassy (like broccoli) do not make baby gassy. Gas in mom's body cannot pass into breastmilk. Breastmilk is made from what passes into mom's blood, not what is in her stomach or digestive track. The most common culprit by far is diary. A good resource for trouble shooting why baby is gassy (to try and prevent it!) is My baby is gassy. Is this caused by something in my diet?

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:00 PM on May. 17, 2009

• Ive also heard that too much tomato sauce and onions could do it also....I think they do pass but that's JMO.......
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:06 AM on May. 18, 2009