sexting...has your child been caught?

Learned my 15 year old has done just this. Sexting is sex texting with pictures or messages.
It has strictly been between him and one girl. They have been with each other for 6 mos.
The phone is gone...so what else should I do? I need some ideas before me and his father talk....we are divorced....
Thanks ladies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Does HER mother know? Mite wanna let her in on it. Do u have parental controls in place for ur computer? It can happen there too.I myself don't think it should have the same consequences as an adult however thry do! Talk to ur ex via letter if you think he may react negatively towards you. And I would keep a close eye on those two hormones can d pretty powerful!
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 11:50 PM on May. 17, 2009

• hes 15 hes gonna do that stuff, hes been with this girl for 6 months Im telling you they prolly already had sex if not done other things-let him be talk to him share your feelings with him-tell him how to stay safe and keep his girlfriend safe but freaking out and trying to stop there relationship will just push him away...
    my parents did that to me when they caught me IMing dirty things to my BF of 8 months too bad he dirty deed had been done-they made us break up but It didnt stop us, school, walks, the bike trail-we were and still are all over eachother.
    My parents refusing to talk to me about it and pusing us apart had a romeo effect on us, only made us want eachother more and thats how my son came to be-
    15 is sadly the age for sex and sexual things to arise-you have to be ready for the worst and hope for the best, sometimes all you can do is let them go and hope you did a good job raising them!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 12:00 AM on May. 18, 2009

• yeah it wont stop him and making them break up is kinda cruel dont you think
    mom2jade

Answer by mom2jade at 3:33 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Nope. My teen doesn't have a phone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on May. 18, 2009

• my son just turned 15 a week ago. i was looking through his phone and seen a picture of a girls private area. he told me it was one of his friends goofing off, then the truth came out a 12 yr old sent him the picture of her. well i know this girl, and her family (parents, and grandpa very well respected). i called her grandpa and got her moms number and called her and told her what her daughter had done. her mom went off.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 9:38 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I agree with not making them break up. My parents also tried that with me and my hubby when we were teens (me 14 him 15) 14 years and 3 kids later it only made me want him more. But that is no reason for not punishing him. You are still his mom and you still need to raise him and teach him that what he's doing is un acceptable and disrespectful to her and him. How come no one raises respectful gentleman anymore. Just talk & talk & talk to your son about safe sex and how to respect his girlfriend wether they are having sex, texting sex or just hanging out.
    Anonymous

• Ehhh...I don't know if you should punish him....15 year old boys are horny and do stupid things...15 year old girls are also horny and do stupid things. Just talk to him about it and tell him about safe sex....and maybe suggest to the girl that she should tell her parents...but you don't need to tell her yourself.

Also, I don't think "sexting" is disrespectful. I think its a way for them to express sexual feelings for each other.

Whether or not we as parents WANT our kids to be thinking this way, they do. And I think its something that we need to accept rather than try to stop. I think we need to find a way to handle it, not make it go away...buts its not goin' to.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 12:53 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Maybe sexting is better then having sex, i wouldnt do anything else just have a talk with him about sex and your allways here if he needs you
    Anonymous

• When i was younger maybe like 13, I was really prude(which is a good thing), I wouldn't do anything more than kiss a boy, but I texted this one boy about giving him a blow job. I STILL don't do that to this day and I'm 18.
    Anyways, i left my phone at home one day and my mom went through my messages, and took my phone from me. Later my DAD made me sit down with him while he read each text message and made me explain all of it.
    I just really liked this boy i was talking to, and i honestly only told him i would do it (even though i wasn't going to) because I wanted him to like me. Bad decision but I learned. I wouldn't say my parents approach was best for ME. It just made me mad at them and want to rebel.
    I would be so embarrassed if my parents found naked pictures of me, ew..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 AM on May. 21, 2009

• Make sure he didn't share the pics with his friends, for one thing. If you don't think you can separate them, or make them break up, then I would start to require more supervision on dates. He can't drive alone yet if he's fifteen and hormones or not, this is bad judgment. I would tell her parents. Ask yourself whether you would want to know about it if it were your daughter. See if they will back you up on the issue of more supervision. Make sure they BOTH know how easy it is to mess up on bc, even the pill.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 11:16 AM on May. 23, 2009