Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Custody issues

I am moving from CA to NY with my daughter. Will the father (staying in NY) have to give me full custody of the child? We're confused and trying to figure this out. I know the courts will generally grant the mother full physical custody, but does he have to give me full legal custody as well?

If we DON'T go thru the courts, and I just move, will he and I share custody otherwise?

We are unmarried by the way.


Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • If the father has no issue with you having full custody of the child, than the courts will probably grant full custody to you. However if he DOES have an issue with you having full custody, than that's a different story. Also, if I was you I would do everything that has to do with custody through the courts so it can be documented. If there is a falling out between you and him you don't want to take the chance that he can take you to court over your child.

    Answer by Ash9724 at 11:45 PM on May. 17, 2009

  • You should seek the advice of an attorney.

    Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:39 PM on May. 17, 2009