How soon did u start lactating? Do some women just start earlier than others?

Asked by Rohrig at 1:30 AM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Pregnancy

• the best time to start is at birth. you get used to it, and so does your baby. sometimes, it takes a lot of work. the sooner you start, the easier it will become. it took me the three days at the hospital to kind of get used to it. in total, it took about 1-2 weeks before i had it down. i did, but my son wasn't getting it. just remember to have patience. and don't feel bad if it doesn't work out for you. be proud for just trying. i suggest you speak to lactation consultant, and do some research. ask other mom's for advice before you do. when you don't know how to do it quite right, it can become painful, and you might give up. it shouldn't be painful. so if it is, something isn't right. if you need any tricks, let me know.

Answer by x0x0mommyx0x0 at 1:35 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Some people start leaking colostrum from very early in pregnancy, other's don't start until birth or directly after. Usually first pregancies take a little longer than the subsequent pregnancies too.

Answer by sapient at 1:37 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You will begin immediately after having your baby, but it will not seem like much, just a little fluid call colostrum. But it is soooo important for the baby because it has lots of natural antibodies. Then in a couple of days or so, your milk will come in and trust'll know cause your breasts will feel like they are heavy and really tight. You may leak some. If you're not sure, then get in a tub of hot water and you will start leaking. Just remember when trying to nurse your baby, you have got to relax. They sense when you are nervous. I was a complete idiot with my first and then with my second, I went to the free classes at the hospital where I would deliver. That was the best thing I ever did. Then I nursed 3 more very successfully. I t is the most wonderful accomplishment ever for me, but it isn't the bomb for if it works for you, then good, but if it doesn't then just chalk it up and love your little bundle of joy.

Answer by prissymommy at 1:42 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I started leaking colostrum at 4 months preggo... if it is really bad buy the pads to put in your bra....

Answer by JerzisMommy at 4:01 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You begin to produce colostrum during your second trimester, every woman does even if she doesn't start to leak around that time. I started leaking around 28 weeks when I was pregnant with my son, however this time with my daughter I started closer to 17 weeks.

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 11:23 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I am 25 weeks right now & if I squeeze my nipples, I get a little liquid. The 2nd trimester is when colostrum starts to develop. They don't leak yet, and I'm hoping they don't.

Answer by crazysocks830 at 2:02 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• For me it was somewhere after 20 weeks. Only one side would leak...LOL. I was worried that only one breast would produce milk later on...hehe. I have had no issues with breastfeeding(other than the pain associated with the first month or so), and we are still going strong at almost one year.

I didn't know when I had my son that it would take 2-3 days for my milk to come in. I was producing very tiny amounts of colostrum, but I didn't think it was enough for him. It was! Their stomachs are only the size of a marble when they are born. Don't let anyone convince you that the baby is starving, or that you don't have milk, or that you should give formula.

If you want to breastfeed, you will!

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 11:03 PM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I started leaking colostrum at about 17 weeks! Some women just do, my midwife said it's actually a good thing b/c now i don't have to worry about my milk not coming in lol!

Answer by clmelchor at 11:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2008