Stitches/Staples

I had my C-Section 3/27/09 I have no idea if I have staples or stitches inside, how sad is that?!?

How do you know when your internal stitches or staples are out or that you have passed them?

How do you know if everything has healed out inside?

How long does it take to pass these things?

lilmoma0127

Asked by lilmoma0127 at 11:39 PM on May. 17, 2009 in Health

• I had a c section in january and no one told me about inside stiches its not something you really need to worry about . Of course you have them but they dissolve. Its not staples for sure and you wont pass them. when i went back for my post visit i complained of some burning when i would get up and lay down , the doctor told me it was probably my stiches disolving and not to worry about it.
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:59 PM on May. 17, 2009

• if you had staples they would not be inside...so you would know. chances are they are dissolvable stitches that are inside.....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:14 AM on May. 18, 2009

• They use dissolvable stitches inside because otherwise they'd have to open you back up to remove the other stitches or staples, which doesn't make much sense. Generally 6 weeks is what they say to heal, both inside and out. Now your incision in your skin will be healed sooner than that, but it doesn't get as much pressure as your muscles do. Also it's entirely normal to have some numbness at the incision site because they've cut through nerves and they take longer to reconnect and heal.

You won't pass any stitches or staples, there's no foolproof way to 100% say that you've healed, but you'll be feeling better and better. You'll be able to move more easily, to get up and use your ab muscles without pain. Don't rush into doing too much, but as you get closer to the 6w mark you'll start to feel normal again and be fully healed. Plus at your 6w post partum check your OB will do an internal to see how everything is doing.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:53 AM on May. 18, 2009