Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about becoming a foster parent/adoption out of state...

Im a married stay at home mom and my husband and I have always wanted to be foster parents. Recently I was made aware of a situation in another state of a child who was abused (it was awful, he has physical injuries that will never heal) and I am wondering if Im certified in my state, am I able to take in a child that is in another state? Im am not related to this little boy, but I think our family would be able to give him the love and support he will desperately need.
I know there are just as many kids that need a loving family in my local area. But this little boy, theres something about his situation, that just makes me want to help him so badly. I know they usually like to keep the child close to their actual family, but this boy's only parent will be spending his life in jail im sure.
Is it possible to foster or even adopt a child from another state?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 12:17 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Adoption

Answers (4)
  • They will look locally first, but you are able to adopt out of state once you become licensed in your own.

    Each child you hear about will touch your heart in ways you couldn't imagine before. Don't limit yourself to this one child. More than likely he's already placed in a home and they won't disrupt placement unless the foster family doesn't want to adopt if it comes to that.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:06 AM on May. 18, 2009

  • You can't "foster" out of state but you *CAN* adopt out of state. The only cases I know where a child has been considered Foster residing in another state is when it's with a kinship placement.

    Maybe having a heart for this child will lead you to serve others in similar situations in your local area.

    Good luck!

    Answer by AAAMama at 9:35 AM on May. 18, 2009

  • youre right, more than likely hes alread been placed in foster care.
    But I have definitely been motivated to Foster at least one child. I hear so many horrible stories about foster parents, my hubby was in foster care briefly when he was young and often went hungry and was not cared for at all. Its a painful subject for him. We both have agreed we want to help at least one child. We have a big very loving family and it would be a wonderful thing for us as well as the little one we help.
    Thank you very much for responding! i appreciate it!

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on May. 18, 2009

  • Children in foster care in one state can be transferred to another state's foster care custody in cases where it makes sense to do so. It's called inter-state compact agreement and oftentimes occurs when relatives are found residing in another state, or where a particular foster home in a different state has the specialized care that the child needs and isn't available in their state.

    If you are licensed in your state you can inquire with the state system where the child currently is - ask for the worker assigned to the child. Let them know you are licensed in another state and state that you are interested in interstate compact if they would be open to that.

    It is rare for states to place a child in another state when they have the resources in state and especially when they are required to work with the family until a termination of parental rights has occurred.

    Bravo for your compassionate and caring heart!

    Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 11:51 AM on May. 18, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.