Should I allow alcohol at my daughters high school graduation party?

My aunt and I are throwing a high school graduation party for my daughter and her daughter who are graduating at the same time.

My husband is concerned about alcohol being at a party with minors, after thinking more and more about it I realized I would probably not allow my daughter to go to a graduation party where there would be alcohol. Also, my name is on the contract for the dance studio where we are having the party. I feel like I would have to be policing the whole night to make sure minors are not drinking. I just feel like it would be in my best interest to just avoid the whole thing by not allowing it.

I know there are some famiy members that will be upset and think that I'm being to strict. Did I mention we are hispanic and alcohol is basically a family member.

So, am I crazy or does it just make sense to not allow it?

SillyMama829

Asked by SillyMama829 at 12:27 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Dont do it, seariously- if it was JUST family I would say go for it-but other kids-if ANYTHING were to happen to ONE of those kids, or if they slip and tell there parents or someone else finds out and tells there parents you could be in for a HUGE lawsuit or other legalities- say one of them slips and falls and hurts themselves and they go to the hospital after they had been drinking-that family could OWN your studio-house-cars EVERYTHING-
    Im 20 so its not like Im giving you an adult perspective- Im still a child-infact I went to my friends graduation party last year were her parents let them drink- Mat (18yrs) drank himself SICK passed out in the woods it took us an hour to find him and he had to be rushed to the hosptial they are now fighting a HUGE legal battle that they will eventually loose-its not worth it, kids will be kids, irrisponsible, loud, dangerious to themselves-do u really want to baby sit that?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:32 AM on May. 18, 2009

• and even if you did just keep a close eye, with that many people there, family, friends, kids, it would be impossible to watch consumption with EVERY kid-
    Anonymous

• Every graduation party I went to in HS where alcohol was served, minors, including me were drinking it. I'm not saying that's what would happen at your party, but it could. I wouldn't take the risk. The adults can have fun without alcohol, right? JMO!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Well there is going to be some if you allow it or not.... Just saying.. unless you are going to be babysitting them the whole time then they are going to drink. I would advise telling your daughter that yes she can have it if you dont see it. If you don't know its there and dont condone it you can't get sued.. thats what my mom always did. JMO
    almostamommyof2

Answer by almostamommyof2 at 12:39 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I would explain to your family members that you don't want to risk going to jail if a bad apple kid doesn't follow the rules and slips in a beer or two you could go to jail! If they got drunk and killed someone in a dwi you could get in serious trouble too and you'd have to live with that on your mind. If you say that, I mean really what can they say? You know that someone is bound to try it! They're excited teenagers after graduation. I think you and your husband are respectable and being great parents by putting your foot down. Good for you Mama!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Are you seriously asking this question??!!! Have you not heard of the parents who had alcohol at a party for minors and got put in jail?? Why would you want to have alcohol at a party for kids who not even supposed to be drinking??? If it's for the adults, here's a reminder...THE PARTY IS SUPPOSED TO BE FOR THE GRADUATES, NOT FOR A BUNCH OF ADULTS TO GET DRUNK... and from the sounds of it, the minors would be drinking too. How are you gonna feel if one or more of them get drunk or even just drink a littletoo much and kill themselves or someone else driving home? Holy crap, be a responsible parent & skip the alcohol. It's a graduation party for KIDS for God's sake!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on May. 18, 2009

• You dont need to freak on her-Im sure she will do whats right-but I wouldnt tell your daughter she can have it there if you dont see it-the more they sneak it the more they will want it causing them to get drunker than if you had it laying around-I wouldnt recomend you having ANY alcohol there at all for the kids or for the parents, and the first time you think or see someone drinking it than they have to leave-protect your home, assits, and self-dont allow minors to drink-
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 12:52 AM on May. 18, 2009

• It is illegal to supply minors with alcohol. DON'T DO IT!!! Keep the alcohol for an adult party, not a high school party.
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 1:25 AM on May. 18, 2009

• If "adult" members of your family are going to get bent out of shape about there not being alcohol at a party that is for teenagers..... well, then they need to grow up. The party is about the kids and their accomplishment of graduating. Make that the focus. Have lots of sparkling cider at the party, and if the "adults" want to go get drunk to celebrate, tell them to go to a bar. Like you said, it's YOUR name on the line here, not theirs. The risks far outweigh any benefits that I can see. It IS possible to have a celebration and have a great time WITHOUT alcohol..... send the right message to all those kids.
    bkbecca

Answer by bkbecca at 5:08 AM on May. 18, 2009

• honestly, i wouldnt but i had alcohol at my grad party... and it was soooo fun... theyre gonna drink regardless so maybe at least youll be able to control the environment... just sit down, think about it... but would you be willing to supply another mothers children with alcohol if they didnt know it?
    dee.hayden

Answer by dee.hayden at 5:31 AM on May. 18, 2009