my 4th month old baby cries out in his sleep all the time...

My baby cries in his sleep almost every night, but when i get up to check him, he is asleep. Ive tried patting him and whispering to him to comfort him but it doesn't seem to help. I try to let him be for a minute but i cant stand that sad cry, i feel so bad, like i should do SOMETHING...but i dont know what.
2 of my other boys had night errors when they were young, but not at 4 months...that seems way too young for that, right?
Anyone else had this? Any suggestions?
Im not getting much sleep because every time he cries out, i need to get up and check on him. I cant lay there and ignore him and let him fuss. The one time I do, something could be really wrong, so i feel the need to get up each time and be sure he is ok.
any advice would definitely be appreciated!
Thanks so much :)

modelmomof4

Asked by modelmomof4 at 12:31 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son does this every once in a while (more when he was 2-4 months old) and so does my friend's baby who is about the same age. I wouldn't worry too much, I know it's sad to think about, but they're fine. :]
    ours

Answer by ours at 12:35 AM on May. 18, 2009

• There is a condition called silent reflux that can cause this and there are other side affects to letting reflux go untreated if you have questions you can message me. You may try putting you baby at an incline to sleep and see if that does nto help. Silent reflux will cause them to cry out like that my daught who is not 14 months old had sever reflux and we went through alot
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 1:26 AM on May. 18, 2009

• i would say if he is still sleeping, its fine. he could be having bad dreams. there is no reason to wake him up if hes still sleeping through it. my advice would be if possible, put his bassinet or crib right next to ur bed, so that way u can just sit up slightly and look in on him, u dont have to get up every time. my son is 5 months and still sleeps in a pack n play next to my bed so i just sit up and look in on him from time to time
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:58 AM on May. 18, 2009

• my daughter would let out little cries while she slept between the mths of 2 and 4 mths. she is now 6mths and really never does it. I never knew why either but she was always fine
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 3:08 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Thanks everyone!
    abbliebaileylily, i have heard of the reflux thing before, are there other symptoms?
    He never spits up and burps quite easily. He seems fine other than the crying out when asleep.
    We have his crib in our room, but not close to the bed. I think i will rearrange some things so he is closer.
    Thanks for the advice everyone!
    modelmomof4

Answer by modelmomof4 at 9:47 AM on May. 18, 2009