What is the best way to relactate?

I have not breast fed my son in over 16 months. I would be pumping and not trying to put him to the breast for fear of being bitten. I have a Medela PIS original to use. Are there any tips anyone can give me?

baby_randa

Asked by baby_randa at 12:34 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I had a baby in the NICU and I did not breast feed her and I was wanting to start because she was having ALOT of problems and I wanted to try breastmilk to see how she did. I saw 3 different ob's and all of them told me there was know way to produce breast milk if mine was completly dried up. However if I was still producing some they could give me a hormone to may the supply heavier. So I think it depends on howmuch milk u have. You may need to see your obgyn
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 1:09 AM on May. 18, 2009

• If an adoptive mother can breastfeed her child you can do it too....Go on La Leche's website and do some research there. There is medicine you can take and also some herbal things to try...I know I am going to try to breastfeed when I adopt, it's not easy, but it can be done. Good luck to you!
    BethTTC

Answer by BethTTC at 1:28 AM on May. 18, 2009

• No offense, but if he's at least 16 months old, why take that step back?

Yes it's possible, it will take a few months. You can do it simply by pumping and/or taking some herbs women claim increase supply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:45 AM on May. 18, 2009

• don't listen to anonymous attacks. The World Health Organization (lacking the influences of the dairy and fomula industries) recommends breastfeeding for a minimum of 24 months.
    Drink lots of water
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Take fenugreek caps
    Have lots of skin to skin contact with your baby
    Nurse frequently
    Pump before nursing or pump one side and nurse on the other.
    If he bites you, immediately pull him off and say no very firmly. Have him apologize and then continue eating.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:23 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Re taking a step back his doctor has told me he is under weight and to start giving him crazy things to get the weight up. I also would like him to have the benifit of breast milk again.

Thanks to all of those who responded.
    baby_randa

Answer by baby_randa at 10:09 PM on May. 18, 2009