• In the Spotlight:

how old is a child to sleep in a crib?

My son is 3 and he is just fine in a crib, I have a baby he is 10 months old and I am thinking in wait and just got bunk beds. Do you think this will work out good??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on May. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• Technically, kids aren't supposed to be in the top bunk until they are 6 years old. I know personally I would not want my son's first bed to be an upper bunk.

I did put my oldest in an upper bunk when he was 4, but he had been in a regular bed since he was 15 months and hadn't fallen out in over 2 years. He's also a very still sleeper.

Keep in mind, there is a height limit on most cribs of 35 inches. It does become a safety issue if they are tall enough to climb out, or too tall and they can flip over the rail and get hurt. I know my 3 year old is 40 inches and would be too tall to still safely be in our crib. And my 2 year old would already have been trying to climb out (he started climbing over baby gates before 18 months the little monkey) so he'd not still be in a crib.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:25 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Is it possible to place your 10 month old into the crib and your 3 year old into the lower bed on the bunk beds? You can purchase a toddler side rail for safety reasons for a very affordable price at any Walmart, Target, or store like that.

By the time your youngest is old enough for a bed then your oldest should be old enough, and safe enough, to sleep in the top bunk. This is what we did with our daughters and it worked out splendidly.

Best wishes to you and your children!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:49 AM on May. 18, 2009