I need to calrify my question about alcohol at my daughters grad party.

The rules for the dance studio where we are having the party are that the alcohol has to be given to the bartender that is provided and it wil only be given to the person who brought it. There are no coolers allowed because of the dance floor. The alcohol would onlybe for the adults. That being said, I still feel it is not appropriate for alcohol to even be at the same party with minors and I don't know how the bartender would be able to remember who brought what. I guess my question was really on how to deal with the family members who would oppose?
Soory for the confusion but my character were limited.

SillyMama829

Asked by SillyMama829 at 1:04 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• wrist band the ADULTS card all minors-the family can bring there own beverages-and let them know when they walk in whatever they bring becomes community drinks-if your wearing a wrist band it means you brought booze witch means you have open bar until you run out-mean while those over age with out wrist bands means they brought no booze and the bar tender is not to serve them!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:08 AM on May. 18, 2009

• for the family memebers that oppose-screw them-tell em to go to the bar afterward, this party is for KIDS
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on May. 18, 2009

• i would assume if a lot of alcohol was brought the bartender would label the bottles.
    as far as how to deal with those that don't agree, you are throwing the party don't even have bringing alcohol be an option, if they ask if it is or if it will be served tell them no. those that don't agree oh well its you who is paying for the party and the space and its your child's grad not theirs. if its a group thing though, than you are going to have to compromise and the fact that people can chose to bring their own or not drink seems like a compromise to me, if its not one you agree w/than you'd have to go with doing it yourself
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:10 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I have no problem with responsible use of alcohol being at a party that has both adults and minors attending.

HOWEVER, this is a party in HONOR of minors. It is hardly fair to the kids that the adults are turning it into their own party, being overly concerned with what adult beverages are there. The party is for the kids and if the kids can't eat/drink it, it shouldn't be there. That is completely besides the fact that should there be a mix-up and a kid ends up with alcohol, you may be held liable for it which is punishable by fine as well as imprisonment.

As for family members, sweetie, stop FEELING like you OWE people an explanation. To me that's the #1 foothold people have in other people's lives. If you have made a reasonable decision, you owe nothing to no one and feeling like you do is just going to allow people to walk all over you. No alcohol at a teen party. Period, end of story.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:52 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I agree 100% with NovemberLove!
    It is a kids' party, outside your home, so there is always a chance of a minor getting some alcohol, somehow. As a medic, I have seen kids killed by drunk driving... Please believe me when I say that you do not want that on your conscience for the rest of your life.
    If anyone wants alcohol, tell them to go to a bar later! If you are throwing the party & they are your guests, you don't owe them anything!!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 2:03 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Honestly, I think I would tell them straight up that there will be a lot of minors there that are not relatives, and that none of you have the right to be providing alcohol to (not that you would). Plus, for liability reasons you don't want to have to worry about them sneaking it, and that since it's your dd's party, you want to be able to enjoy it and not have to worry about watching all the teens that closely.

Then, if they give you any issue - you look them dead in the eye and ask "So, are you saying to me that __ (dd's name, or your neice, granddaughter, sister, whatever) isn't as important to you as booze? You are HONESTLY saying that you CANNOT enjoy an evening celebrating her success without having a drink, that she - and I - mean THAT little to you?" Then just shake your head and tell them that you love them and hope that isn't the case, and that they'll be there, but either way, booze is not going to be served.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:32 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Cancel the party so the buildings not in your name and have one of those who appose your decision to put the building in their name and see how they would re-act to such a huge responsibility! Put them in your shoes and make them understand where you are coming from and then maybe they will realize the importance of what is going on! ........lol
    mirakoboy

Answer by mirakoboy at 5:40 AM on May. 18, 2009

• It's a party for a MINOR... why does there have to be alcohol?? Does there have to be alcohol in order to have a good time?? I would say if you can't make it a couple hours without a drink, maybe you should stay home. You can't please everyone all of the time. And who's party is this... oh, that's right... NOT THEIRS!!
    klpzack

Answer by klpzack at 9:55 AM on May. 18, 2009

• The party is for children. Why do you want to send a message to them that you must have alchohol to have fun? If your family members object, they are more than welcome to skip the party; this is their issue, not yours.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:06 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I agree with the party being for a minor...so there's no need for alcohol. They shouldn't need alcohol there to celebrate your kids' graduation.
    metalhealthmama

Answer by metalhealthmama at 12:13 PM on May. 18, 2009