CAN'T SLEEP

Hpw do I put my three week old baby on a schedule all he does is cry at night and sleeps through the day. Took him to the pediatritian and she said he's fine but I'm not I have a 17mnth old and now a three week old and I need some sleep.

APhionsMommy

Asked by APhionsMommy at 1:16 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you know when you baby is going to start crying for example everynight at 7 pm it may be colic. If you feed him, changed his diaper, and know that he is not in any pain and cannot sooth him, it will be okay to let him cry. This will also help with self soothing as he gets older. Put him in his bed, swing, or bouncy seat and let him cry while you get some rest. Every 30 min to an hour go over to him and re assure him that you are there dont pick him up. You may have to take turns with you husband so you dont wear out. If it is colic they usually out grow this by 3 months but every baby is different
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 1:23 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Three week olds are too young for scehdules...even schedule advocates say not to do it with a newborn. Feed him when he wants. It's growth spurt time.

Three weeks is also too young to let him cry...even cry it out advocates say not to do it till soix MONTHS at the earliest.

Co-sleep. It's a sanity saver. And YES, it's safe...safer than cribs as long as you do it right. Google safe co-sleeping and you;ll see.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:52 AM on May. 18, 2009

• i would say the best thing u can do is don't really be quiet or put him in a dark room during the day. make it clear that day time is play time and everyone is awake except for nap times. then during the night put him in a dark room nice and quiet and calm. if ur up wiht him dont talk to him or play with him. i also agree with cosleeping if u absolutely need some sleep. with my son i always tried to get him to sleep as much as possible on his own but in the early morning hours when i was dying for sleep i would put him in bed with me. i dont agree with cry it out until they are much older. its ok to let them cry for maybe 6 minutes if u r losing ur sanity but no longer than that. make sure he's not extra hungry, offer a little more formula than normal. that always seemed to be the case with my son. if he was crying a lot it was because he was just growing and needed more formula.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 1:56 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I have a 6 mth old and she is on a great schedule. I researched so many things before she was born and have found the best book ever. It is called 'the baby whisperer solves all your problems (by teaching you how to ask the right questions) by Tracy Hogg'. it sounds stupid but i swear by this book, my daughter was 5 wks preemie and I started her on the schedule @ a mth old. Her bedtime every night is 7pm, I wake her for a feeding @ 11pm, she wakes @ 6:30 am for a feeding and sleeps again until abt 8:45 to 9 or so. The book basically helps u plan out a schedule and teaches you common sense things that aren't so common. Like for example: you see alot of woman pacing the halls back and forth while bouncing their babies trying to get them to sleep, well that is something they taught the baby to like and now they cant stop it because the baby wants it all the time. My daughter is proof. get the book, you will totally understand
    ProudMammaMia

Answer by ProudMammaMia at 3:02 AM on May. 18, 2009

• He needs to get his schedule switched around so try and keep him up more during the day and sleep at night etc... He may be gassy even if he is colicy you can purchuse Grip Water and it usually does the trick when you don't know what is wrong if you have feed them, changed there bumb etc...
    Best wishes
    truckchickie

Answer by truckchickie at 3:19 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Three weeks is to young to expect anything. It is the hardest time on parents but I promise you it will get better and baby will get on a schedule. I use to have my babies in a bassinet next to my bed. When they would cry I would pull them into bed to breast feed and do a quick diaper change in the bed in the dark(ngt lite).  I know it may sounds silly  but it minimized the ordeal and there was no talking at all, suggesting it to be night . When done feeding I placed baby back in the bassinet. I did not co-sleep. Google in to see five babies have died in Milwaukee WI. In the past five months from co-sleeping. I co-slept with my toddlers but never infants so I don't know about that. Eventually my babies started sleeping longer and longer and our schedule developed stress free. Sleep when the babies sleeps 4 now.  Have dad get away in the house for some good z'ss so he can help when he gets home and not be crabby. 

Shirgrace

Answer by Shirgrace at 8:04 AM on May. 18, 2009

• if he sleeps head to toe reverse him toe to head it works i know it sounds silly and is a old wives tail but it worked like a charm 4 both my dd's. so if he sleeps with his feet toward the door put his head there instead.
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 3:33 PM on May. 18, 2009