Do they need "Closure" to getting rid of their Pacifiers?

Do you think that toddlers need “closure” to ending their relationship with their pacifiers? They have come to love them; they are always there to comfort them when they needed to sleep. Right now, they only use them at naps and bedtime. Tonight, I couldn’t find one and told them so, they accepted that. But now, I think not knowing where their loving paci is at might be more detrimental to them than not using them. I’m thinking of “finding” them and letting them be the ones to get rid of them, after they are done with their last tooth coming in (for comfort).
What do you think, do they need the closure and have it be their choice, rather than losing them?

Mommy--

Asked by Mommy-- at 1:17 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• give them their pacifiers and let them get rid of them. Then they can let go of an attachment. Make up a cute story about the pacifier fairy that comes and takes the pacifiers to babies that need them and in return the fairy leaves them a big kid suprise.
    KadensMom907

Answer by KadensMom907 at 2:19 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I think you're thinking WAY too much into this. You were shown they can sleep without the pacifier, so you now know they don't need it. Don't give them any more, don't "find" them, just get rid of them.

Toddlers teeth coming in are usually only their molars. The pacifier isn't going to do any good for the back molars coming in, so using it for teething...well, it's not really going to work.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:36 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I suppose it depends on the child. My son didn't need closure - he just wanted to know what happened to it and would occasionally ask about it (not FOR it). His separation from his binky came as no surprise (except in the actual timing), so it's not like it was a shock. So he didn't need closure. If your child is okay with the "can't find it" then they're not that emotionally attached to it, it would seem. Like my son, they don't NEED it, but it would be nice. I say let it go...there's nothing detrimental in not finding it again and it's a great life lesson that sometimes things just get lost.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:22 AM on May. 18, 2009

• With my 9 y/o we let him thow it away. We told him that he's a big boy now and didn't need it anymore. He dealt with it well and at bedtime he asked for it and we told him remember you threw it out.
    I like the idea of the paci fairy though. I may use that one for my 20 month old when the time comes!

Alicia Haddigan
    www.babysitease.com
    ahaddigan

Answer by ahaddigan at 10:09 AM on May. 18, 2009

• i agree with ticcledblue if they think they r gone why return them??? then they will think if u or they throw them away they can come back anytime 2.
    BlendedMommy009

Answer by BlendedMommy009 at 3:30 PM on May. 18, 2009