I won't send my boy to preschool, all the schools close to us are just too expensive for us, but I want to teach my son at home everything I can, so any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• http://www.dltk-teach.com Try this site, hopefully you'll get some great ideas for your son.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:30 AM on May. 18, 2009

• There are books at walmart in the toy department by the coloring books that are for different age groups I tought my daughter at home with theese and also the internet is full of ideas just make sure that your child gets socially ready to go to school as well by doing some type of sports or homeschooling activity so that way he is not behind in this area when he starts school. The most important things to teach befor kindergarden are going to be letter reconition and reconition of numbers and learing sight words. They have stick it notes at stapels that have sight words on them that you can place around the house on objects taht really work
    abbibaileylily

Answer by abbibaileylily at 1:30 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I've never heard of kids needing to learn sight words BEFORE kindergarten.

Learning to cut properly, beginning writing his name, letter recognition, numbers and counting, colors and shapes, positional words (beside, under, above), etc. Do lots of reading and crafts =)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:26 AM on May. 18, 2009

• i'm a preschool teacher. there are things we work on, that your boy needs to develop, that don't come from books... he needs socialization with other children, he needs to listen to and respect other adults, not just you and your parents, but teachers. he'll need an expanded attention span that most kids entering kindergarten don't have unless they've been worked with. sure, they can all sit thru an episode of sponge bob, but can they sit (and pay attention) during the teacher's daily routine, listening and following directions, then doing an assignment? try a parent participation preschool. most parks and rec programs have one, and they don't just advertise it, but if you ask, they'll likely have financial aid available (and waive some or all of the fee) . work on the fine motor skills, too... string beads, use scissors, control a pencil and read, read, read!!! good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 8:37 AM on May. 18, 2009

• " he needs socialization with other children, he needs to listen to and respect other adults, not just you and your parents, but teachers. he'll need an expanded attention span that most kids entering kindergarten don't have unless they've been worked with."

My children aren't in school (homeschool) and they are completely capable of listening to and respecting adults (any adult, not just myself).  They also know how to use manners!  I disagree that children need to "learn" socialization skills by being crammed into a classroom of 20 other kids their own age.  I'm sorry!  Her son will do fine by playing with kids in the neighborhood, cousins, and siblings. 

ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:15 AM on May. 18, 2009

• OP, there's obviously a huge debate about keeping kids home or sending them to school. You need to do research for yourself to come to your own decision. Keeping your child home before sending them to kindergarten will not hinder their ability to learn. I promise you that!

ReneeK3

• there is another book (well series of books) out there for parents that go over the basics of what your kids need to know by grade and one includes preschool. Amazon sells them.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:19 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Try www.LetterOfTheWeek.com for lesson ideas.
    Also, talk to the staff at the school he will go to for kindergarten. Find out what he needs to know when he enters school. As you teach him these things, keep it fun.
    And try to find little classes to put him in - anything where he has to learn to listen to the teacher and do as he is asked by an adult other than you. If you go to church, even Sunday School can help. So can t-ball, swimming lessons, and other classes for little kids.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:07 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Look at city classes for cheap as far as socialization but I teach my 4 yr old at home. We are starting to learn more sounds and sight words. We couldn't afford her preschool so put her in a city class for socialization and I also teach her at home. Its worked out well and she is learning more now than at the preschool she was in!
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 1:21 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I have a 4 yr old and we live in a very small town with a local preschool that most of the parents take their kids too...i refuse to pay someone what i can teach my own 4 yr old.
    People are surprised by his ability to be polite and friendly. He can read sight words, knows his colors, abc's and can put a puzzle together in no time.
    so when I have my son out and about town people tell him ohh "teacher sally" has taught you well" WTH!! good parenting doesn't exist or what?
    anyway, get preschool books do a page or 2 eachday, arts and crafts, paints, playdough talk about colors and letters that you see around you. Basic blocks to build imagination and problem solving. there are websites to build skills through games, such as pbs.org
    puppets are good for role play and interaction skills. simple games like candyland where they learn counting and colors.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:44 PM on May. 18, 2009