How do I start a diet, or cahnge my eating habits, I know I am a emotional eater,

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:26 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• #1 Learn what the common foods we eat are made of and how they're processed by the body (i.e. white breads, grains and rice as well as hot dogs, processed meats and lunch meat). Believe me, you'll be so absolutely disgusted by what is considered "food" that you won't be able to stomach eating it ever again.

#2 Be a label reader. And I mean read the nutrition label on the back while ignoring the "0 fat" or "this is good for you!" CRAP labels on the front of food products. If you can't pronounce it, don't eat it, it's not food.

#3 Learn the daily recommended amounts of various things you should be having (fruits, grains, fish, nuts, seeds ect.) and the things you should have a daily limit set for (sodium, sugar ect.). Learn the effects of excess sodium and processed refined sugar on the body and how they triple your risk for obesity, heart disease, Type II Diabetes and stroke. That helps me watch what I eat too.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:33 AM on May. 18, 2009

• (to clarify a white, processed grain/bread or rice is bad and cannot be digested properly by the human digestive system. A WHOLE grain/bread rice is VERY good).

#4 Sugar and Caffeine make you fat. Excess sugar envokes the insulin response in your body into a constant yo-yo to maintain your blood sugar and when the yo-yo string breaks, you've got type II diabetes. Insulin resistence can occur due to an improper diet and can cause difficulty conceiving children. Caffeine is an ENORMOUS bully on the adrenal glands and can make maintaining/losing weight very difficult. It also greatly impacts your MOOD.

You've got to change the way you think before you can change the way you eat. If you learn why you shouldn't eat unhealthy foods and develop a disgust for them while developing a healthy relationship with healthy foods, your taste buds will change and you will develop better eating habits.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:37 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Always take at least three seconds to stop and think if it is worth it before snacking.

Watch your portion sizes. Don't diet. Change your regular diet permenently.

Don't drink diet soda. It psychologcally fools us into thinking that we've spared some room in our diet for the day and makes us more likely to make up the calories elsewhere during the day without even realizing it. The artificial sweeteners aren't particularly good for you either.

Don't nipple. By just licking the knife of peanut butter after making a sandwhich for the kids, you've just consumed 95 calories. Think before you nibble!

Exercise at least 3 times a day for 10 minutes each. Get a small indoor trampoline. 5 minutes of bouncing is equivalent to 15 minutes of jogging.

Set obtainable goals and reach them.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:41 AM on May. 18, 2009

• When you go on a diet, or use a diet aid, you are just putting yourself on the gain/loss rollercoaster; frustrating for you, & hard on your body. In order to maintain a healthy weight, you need to have a healthy lifestyle; this has the added bonus of setting a great example for your kids.
    First, start walking; at least 20 min a day at least 3 times a week. Next, drink your water! at least 8 8oz glasses a day. Next, eat your fruits & veggies! 7-8 servings a day, in at least three different colors. Eat your whole grains (loaded with fiber, protein, and lots of energy-giving nutrients), 7 servings a day. Cut way back on (or eliminate) meat & dairy. Add beans, lentils & tofu to your diet. You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall, or find his books at your local library: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html .Feel free to ask me any questions. -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 9:26 AM on May. 18, 2009