I'm done having kids but when I got a negative pregnancy test I was sad. Ever happen to you?

I had to take a pregnancy test because I was late for my depo shot. Obviously I'm on birth control because I don't want to get pregnant. Really I'd love to but am not.
So when the test came back negative I was disapointed.
Why is it when you're sure you're done that you can't let go of the longing?

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 1:59 AM on May. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• It is a special era of your life that has passed. It is hard to let go of. Some women are happy to move on and not have more kids, but I think for most of us, we are sentimental about this precious time in life being over and perhaps even afraid of getting older. Time flies and we have to come to terms with aging and with life changes. There is nothing more life confirming than creating life and holding your little infant in your arms. It is only natural for a women to want to procreate. Cherish the sentiment and enjoy the kids you have. If you really cannot get the thought out of your head, perhaps you are not done having more kids. Realistically, though, I would think you should look at your situation and think about how your life would be with one more child in it. I have three kids and sometimes dream about a fourth, but it would be too hard, too expensive and what quality of life could I provide my children??? Good luck!
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 2:19 AM on May. 18, 2009

• because it's in our nature to have kids. we decided we were done, and my dh was going to get snipped. i was sad that we wouldn't be able to have kids no more when we decided this. i made the mistake of telling him my feelings, cuz he thought i was telling him not to do it. so what does he do? he cancels his docs appt. when he told me this i flipped out. lol. it's hard to explain to men that you know your done with kids but the longing will still be there. he couldn't get a doc appt again cuz it was too close to deployment. now he's gone, i have to get back on bc for when he comes home, until he gets snipped...which i'm not happy about. ugh, men! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:09 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I had a hysterectomy at age 29. I had 3 children at that point & did not want any more. I actually took a few moments to myself & had a good cry about it. I knew I didn't want more kids but it was still hard to let go. I made a ceremony of saying goodbye to child bearing & it really helped me. Acknowledge your feelings & then move past them. Plus, you never know what is going to happen. When I had the hyst, I was in a very unhappy marriage. I have since divorced & remarried & am incredibly blessed with 2 amazing stepkids, bringing my total up to 5 beautiful children.
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 2:25 AM on May. 18, 2009