Why are Christians torturing children?

Short version - Christians are branding their children as witches, beating them and torturing them. There have been convictions in Europe and in one part of Africa they've made it punishable by 12 yrs in prison, but it's not stopping it at all. "Children accused of witchcraft are often incarcerated in churches for weeks on end and beaten, starved and tortured in order to extract a confession,"

If you can stomach it, here's the whole article:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/africa/05/18/nigeria.child.witchcraft/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

What are they teaching people that can even remotely make this ok?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:30 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can't hold an entire religion accountable for the actions of a few extremists unless you actually ARE a Christian. Then you can blame Muslims for everything from up there on your high horse. Seriously though, I hate when the same people who get all butthurt about any criticism of Christianity are the ones who are usually first to say that all Muslims are terrorists.
    feministmama

Answer by feministmama at 3:40 PM on May. 18, 2009

• NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:31 AM on May. 18, 2009

• That is crazy! some people will believe anything.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 2:37 AM on May. 18, 2009

• It's horrible, but still not the worst thing I've heard from an African country. Try looking up breast ironing, or FGM. Both are practiced widely across parts of Africa and the middle east. My best guess is that it stems from a lack of education, and a medieval fear of God (or Allah) and the church as a whole. The sad part is, as stringent as the punishments can be for these crimes, the perpetrators are rarely convicted because it's accepted in their society, and therefore by the government. As bad at this country can be at times, I'm grateful that I don't live in a place that barbaric.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 2:39 AM on May. 18, 2009

• In countries where people have no rights anything can and does happen. Are you going to boycott chocolate because slave boys are being used to pick cocoa beans? I hope not, otherwise why would they be kept alive?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on May. 18, 2009

• People are so stupid, I guess if you preach about something enough people will start to believe it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:43 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Anon you are just about to tick me off
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:49 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Whether or not the article is true, many horrible things have been done in the name of Christianity. Which saddens me. I am a Christian, meaning I believe Jesus came to earth to die for my sins and has forgiven me for all the dark and evil things I'm guilty of. Unfortunately, many "Christians" completely miss the whole love and forgiveness thing about Jesus. He hung out with those on the outside of society, the untouchables and unlovables. Instead of condemning the demon-possessed man, he cast out the demons. Instead of stoning the woman caught in the act of adultery, he told her she was forgiven. Though I will never be ashamed to bear the name of Christ, the ultimate progressive, I am ashamed of the connotations associated with being Christian.
    alynncole

Answer by alynncole at 2:50 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I am so shocked that in this day and age there are still these types of sick things going on
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:51 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I'm glad that you are shocked. Our world, as sick and twisted as it is, is also becoming more and more desensitized to its own atrocities. What once felt hot now feels lukewarm. What once appalled us is now expected. Let's not become numb and, therefore, ignore the pain.
    alynncole

Answer by alynncole at 3:11 AM on May. 18, 2009