Is purchasing a walker important for infants to use to train them to take their first step?

mekamommy

Asked by mekamommy at 2:33 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It worked great for all my three kids, but I will never know how they would have done without it, so it is hard for me to say. Just make sure they are in a safe environment when they use it with no access to stairs, yikes....I have a little scooter with a handlebar in the back that they held onto and pushed around. I recommend walkers, the kind kids push, not the kind they sit in that has weels...
    MomAgainAgain

Answer by MomAgainAgain at 2:36 AM on May. 18, 2009

• well generations of humans have figured out how to walk without the use of infant walkers so I dont think it is an absolute must. but now that they are here might as well use them if we can afford them. If price is a factor check craigslist or a local baby consignment store or garage sales (now that it's that season)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on May. 18, 2009

• no. they are illegal in canada, and my son took his first steps at 9 1/2 months. totally not necessary.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 3:10 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Every OT to whom I've spoken and the one pediatric PT I know all have said NOT to use them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:30 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I think they're considered somewhat "dangerous" due to tipping and falling that caused injuries & the stress it puts on their hips if used too early. As long as your baby has something to pull up on & cruise--like a couch or even help from you, they'll be fine.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:51 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Doctors say not to use them cause they tipover very easy. I used an exersaucer you just want to make the legs stronger
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:05 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I'd get an exersaucer or a jumper thing that hangs from the door frame. I've read that walkers can actually hinder your baby learning to walk because they aren't supporting themselves when they are walking around, they are just pushing themselves along with the wheels. The exersaucer makes the baby bounce and such, strengthening their legs.
    SabbyMommy

Answer by SabbyMommy at 7:21 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I have three kids and never used a walker and they walked by 9 months, 10 months and 10 months.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:25 AM on May. 18, 2009

• No, many people use and enjoy them but doctors say it's best not to use anything (walkers jumpers etc) too much because they don't encourage the legs to work like walking does (even the walkers don't) so they can do more harm than good. And of course the danger of falling down stairs or crashing into things, although personally I think monitoring the child can get rid of those issues. We have a walker, jumper and exersaucer, so I'm not against them at all but they are just for fun and not for all day.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:28 AM on May. 18, 2009

• NO.... they are not needed and MANY studies have shown them to do more damage than good.

And as another poster already said.... we walked for millions of years before the commercial baby walker was invented. If it were needed for us to learn to walk, we'd all have been on all fours until recently.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 AM on May. 18, 2009