What do you know about mood disorders?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:56 AM on May. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• My youngest daughter has ADHD and ODD, which are two entirely different diagnoses, but the ODD seemed to become worse when her hormones kicked in (around age 13). She doesn't have as many mood swings as much as outright defiance, so her medications don't deal with her moods.

I have a 17 year old daughter who complained of highs and lows in her moods and our doctor put her on Zoloft, which worked for awhile and then needed to be increased until that wore off, too. Our doctor put her on a low dose of Effexor and it didn't help at all. In fact, it made her depressed and she was tired all the time. I actually had to pick her up from school because she was scared to be in a crowded room. She saw a psychiatrist last Friday and she is weaning her off the Effexor and is placing her on Lexapro. It is in the same family as Zoloft, but is more effective she says. We should see a difference in 2-3 weeks.
    (Con't)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:40 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I know about ODD because I think my oldest daughter has it... I know alot about mood disorders with adults but not so much in children... why do you ask?
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:28 AM on May. 18, 2009

• You maybe able to get more info on webmd.com i not sure about children i also know about adults.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 6:35 AM on May. 18, 2009

• (Con't)
    Meanwhile, we limit her time in her room, we encourage her to participate in family activities and to go to the mall and library with her sisters, and to go to her friend's house to visit.
    Today is her first day back to school since I picked her up last Wednesday, so I'm a bit worried if I'll be getting a call to go pick her up. When I had picked her up last Wednesday I kept her home Thursday and Friday, too, because she was so beside herself.

Her psychiatrist diagnosed her with anxiety and depression, but also suggested that she do some reading on Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD). We went to Border's and bought a book that seems to explain things clearly.

I have BPD, depression, anxiety, and bi-polar, so now I am thinking that these things are hereditary.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:45 AM on May. 18, 2009

• * PrydferthMenyw

Thank you so much for the post. Is like you read my mind. For some reason the part of my question where I was asking about drugs and if you as parent agree on given them to a child who is exhibiting mood swings (bipolar) didn't show up on my question. I had to leave this morning and when I cam back I realized my mistake. But thank you again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Most mood disorders are hereditary while they can also be environmental. For more info go to the NIMH website or even webmd, they do a good job of explaining the disorders and treatment options. Also, finding a book on abnormal psychology will explain mood disorders. You could also google Borderline Personality Disorder.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:08 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I am married to their poster child.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 8:25 PM on May. 18, 2009