How do we clean up an infants ears?

I was giving my 1.5months old daughter and found that some wax was sticking out her left ear. I feel there is more wax collected and though she hasn't cried over it, it might just get infected if left alone. Right? Pls help!

mollu

Asked by mollu at 7:09 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• with babies, the wax comes out on its own. once it is out of the ear canal, you can wipe it out with a rag or a q-tip. NEVER go into a baby's ear canal with anything! Waxy build up shouldn't cause an ear infection, just wait for it to come out on its own. Babies run a little hotter than us (little tiny furnaces IMO) so they seem to produce more wax than us.
    SabbyMommy

Answer by SabbyMommy at 7:18 AM on May. 18, 2009

• It will work it's way out on it's own. I've never heard of wax becoming infected.

If you are concerned, take her in and have a doctor take a look. If the doctor feels there is too much, then the DOCTOR will remove it. You shouldn't put anything in there to get it out.

You can (check with the doctor first) use a sweet oil or olive oil, warmed slightly to help loosen it if you feel it's dry and not going to come out on it's own. That will soften it so it will be easier for it to work it's way out.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:19 AM on May. 18, 2009

• If it is loose and coming out already, you can gently remove it with a tissue or your finger. If it is down in the ear canal DO NOT try to clean them yourself!!!

My DD has had some serious ear problems her whole life and we are regulars at the ENT's office. They clean her ears for me. It is REALLY DANGEROUS to put anything in your babies ears!!! Seriously..... let a doctor take care of her ears.... it is NOT worth the possible damage to her hearing if you mess up with cleaning her ears at home!!

PS- the wax may not even need to be removed.... but let her doctor check them at her next well visit.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:19 AM on May. 18, 2009

• NEVER NEVER NEVER put anything in your childs ears you could do alot of damage. The next time you bring her the doctors have them look into her ears. She will be fine.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:21 AM on May. 18, 2009

• If there is a clump hanging there, I will just use my finger to wipe it out. I rarely ever use baby q-tips, only if there is water in her ears, I'll dry them out, but I don't put them into her ear canal.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:58 AM on May. 18, 2009

• It will dry up & work its way out on its own. We use Johnson & Johnson's Safety Swabs - they are great for cleaning around the ear canal opening without actually going "in" the ear.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 8:29 AM on May. 18, 2009

• http://www.babycenter.com/404_can-i-clean-my-babys-ears-with-a-cotton-swab_12472.bc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on May. 18, 2009

• You can use a cloth to wipe them... and when my son got older we started using the safety Q-tips... they have an extra big ball on them so you can't get them into the ear canal.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:50 AM on May. 18, 2009