How do I keep him from doing this!?

My son keeps pulling his penis out of his diaper. He doesn't take the diaper off, he just pulls it out and lets it flop around on top. He is a year and a half old, what do I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on May. 18, 2009 in General Parenting

• i have absolutely no idea except maybe keep a onsie on him.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:15 AM on May. 18, 2009

• He enjoys the feeling, but that doesn't make it appropriate in public. LOL

I would simply say while replacing the part, LOL, "Oh my, lets not do that!" in your sweetest, most gentle tone, but authorative voice, and never laugh or hide a smile. The human loves to repeat behaviors when they get a good response. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:54 AM on May. 18, 2009

• He's 1 1/2 - he probably doesn't remember the last time you told him not to, so you'll just need to keep reminding him over and over and over again to not do it until his memory retention starts to take hold more firmly. Be patient, he'll figure it out. Just keep your response calm and consistent so it's not a big deal but is an expectation that he can meet.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:18 AM on May. 18, 2009

• One of my boys (can't remember which) did the same thing. I just kept telling him to put it back, and then kept clothes on him. If it helps he did stop.....eventually.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:05 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Start potty training him. Maybe he is having an issue with sweaty diapers. My son used to do that too, and it helped a lot to start potty training him.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 4:22 PM on May. 18, 2009

• To keep him from feeling like his body part is a bad thing, because at that age they don't really understand about privacy issues out in public, you can tell him that his penis needs to stay inside so it doesn't catch a cold or get dirty.
    I also agree with etsmom about starting him with potty training. He is obviously aware of his body parts so you may as well teach him what their function is (just the natural little boy function, of course). I know there are potty training books in bookstores for boys and girls that show them exactly how their specific gender goes potty.
    He's perfectly normal and is just growing up. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:03 AM on May. 19, 2009