How do i get my dog to stop digging?

My SO came home and my dog was digging under our fence. How do i get her to stop so she dosnt run away?

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 8:26 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Pets

• Some dogs are built this way. I have shih tzu's and while they don't dig in the yard, its not an average normal inborn behavior for them, they do dig while trying to create a little place to lay in, like on a pillow or the couch.

Your dog prob. has digging in his personality. I put bricks at the edge of low spots where mine might escape when they are allowed to run around in the yard. Be sure and keep plenty of toys for him to keep him busy, but he might even bury them!

I know this sounds like what the heck, but dogs that are born to have alot of energy really do need to have controlled exercise to get this over energy out. Put him on a leash and take him either for a good run or a brisk walk for at least 20 min. The bigger the dog, the more energy he will have that turns into negative energy where they get into trouble. :)

Research the dog whisperer online Cesar Milan. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:36 AM on May. 18, 2009

• They have spray you can buy at petco or petsmart or any other big pet store. You can also put bricks up around the fence to keep the dog from digging as well or keep it on a runner so it can't get out.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:44 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Tie her to a tree and make sure you give her enough slack so she can move around but not to where she can dig herself out or climb over on something and hang herself. Try putting chicken wire underneath where she is at or do what brailynsmama08 said.

She is digging bc she is bored and wants to explore. And if she still digs while sitting in her spot where you tied her she is trying to dig for coolness.GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 10:30 AM on May. 18, 2009