can a baby survive at 31 weeks ?

my baby was born on may 16 . 2 months before his birth date. i was wondering that at 31 weeks will he survive? i am really sacred. this is my first baby and it means a lot to me. i was also wondering what they do in the NICU. how do they feed premature babies?

more info

he is 3 Lbs 1 ounce
and is 31 weeks

Perez18

Asked by Perez18 at 9:18 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Not trying to be mean, but aren't these question you should be asking the Dr. and nurses about?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on May. 18, 2009

• well i was just wondering about other people's experience. i did ask them. and so far they said that he is doing good. but i want to know if other babies survive .
    Perez18

Answer by Perez18 at 9:21 AM on May. 18, 2009

• 28 weeks is the age they can survive. So your son has about a 60% chance which is really good. They usually do feeding tubes for awhile that go in the nose and down to the stomach until they baby shows the sucking reflex at around 37 weeks. They will allow you to pump milk which would be great to build his immune system. You can go see him daily and lay him on your bare chest so he can learn to regulate his body temp. ONce he picks up the sucking motion they will let you breastfeed if you want or start to bottle feed him. Good luck.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:21 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Haven't you talked to the doctor about all of this? Sorry it is now the 18th and I think that would have been the first question that came out of my mouth to the doctor. Doctors can't lie and sugar coat things to you either. But yes, your baby can survive with the technology we have today. Of course there is still a chance he could die but that could really happen with any baby the risk is just increased. But the doctor should be informing you of what he things, whats wrong with your baby, what they are doing to help.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:21 AM on May. 18, 2009

• thanks a lot. i did ask my docters. is just i am just worried,. they said he will be out around 5 to 6 weeks. n i cant wait. this is going to be the longest summer.
    Perez18

Answer by Perez18 at 9:24 AM on May. 18, 2009

• My husband is a nurse and he told me that a baby can survive at 26 wks. Try not to stress yourself out to much. Just be there for your baby. When you have a baby that small they bottle feed them but they have a cretin type that is eaiser for them to latch onto. Being 31 wks i think he should be ok they usualy try to stop labor that soon till you hit 36 but thats not to far off. I just talked to my SO about it because i almost went into labor last week when i was 31 wks. Good luck. Just stay calm and be there for your baby thats all you can do now. Let him know that mommy is there and that everything is going to be ok. I wish you the best.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 9:24 AM on May. 18, 2009

• My nephew will turn 6 this week. He was due August 2003 and was born 10 weeks early. He was 2 lbs 7 oz at birth.
    Expect your baby to develope at a slower progression - he will catch up later on.
    The hospital won't release him until he is bigger. Modern medicine has come a long way and your baby has a great chance of living a healthy life.
    I think my sister pumped her breast milk to begin with. She would go to the hospital when he got a little bigger and she began breast feeding him. The nurses in NICU can answer many of your questions.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 9:28 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Depending on the hospital your stats may vary many hospitals save babies at 23-24w
    At 31w you are in an excellent range for survival with no or only minor issues
    I had triplets at 31w they were on the vent between 8-12 hours nippling feeds within the first few days and all home with in 4 weeks
    Of course they had some anpea and some bradys and there are thinga like brain bleeds and pdas and rop but at 31 w many are feeders and growers after the first week ir so
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 9:36 AM on May. 18, 2009

• My son was born at 33 weeks and weighed 3lbs 2 oz at birth. I had something called HELLP syndrome and so my doctor had given me that shot that makes the baby's lungs develop faster. She knew I would probably deliver early so that's why she did it. I was lucky (and my son). He only had to be on oxygen for a day. They tube fed him at first. Babies that little can't really suck on the bottle. They just don't have the strength. They do lots of tests on preemies to make sure they are develpig normally so don't get discouraged. It's so scary at first. Seeing your tiny little baby. But the neo-natal nurses are awesome. Good luck! And wait till you see the teeny little diapers they put on them!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:38 AM on May. 18, 2009

• i would go spend time with your baby instead of being on cafemom
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on May. 18, 2009