If abortion were made illegal, how would we deal with the rise in unwanted children?

Should they be forced into adoption? What about the crack babies, or mentally retarded babies? Should they be forced to live in an orphanage?

Or should the children be forced to live with the mother, who never wanted the baby in the first place?

Anyone have a better idea as to what should be done with all the unwanted babies, if abortion was ever made illegal?

This is not a "are you pro-choice, pro-life" question.

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 9:36 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Ugh im prolife and I hope they never make it totally illegal, just start regulating them more. I wouldnt ever want a child to go into a home where theyre not wanted. Thats only going to be disastrous! But what else would they do with the children if the parents didnt want the child? Of course they should go to foster homes or orphanages.. I cant think of any other places they COULD go if they werent wanted. This is why abortion should stay legal.. theres just too many disadvantages. Maybe if they regulated them- like youre only allowed a certain number of abortions in a lifetime.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 9:43 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I'm thinking that because the reality would be, if you have a baby you're responsible for it, unless you can find a qualified adoption family, that MOST people would start thinking a little more wisely about using precautions during sex. Sex is natural and feels good, we're all stupid about it and lets face it, the campain for using condoms hasn't worked very well. Maybe we should be pushing them for the prevention of STD's as well as educating our children in the realities of having children. There should be hands on learning, day care facilities where kids get hands on experience with babies and children, more pressure on what they would do if they were faced with having a baby, etc. The lack of education is what is making this an issue, not the fact that we have sex. I also believe that we aren't educating them enough in the realities of Abortion and what exactly takes place. They aren't being shown the procedure, pics, etc
    momofkearra

Answer by momofkearra at 9:42 AM on May. 18, 2009

• If the mother doesn't want the child, how would she be forced to put it yp for adoption? If she doesn't want it why whould she care? My guess is there are many people who would take the children. We have several of our own so are not looking into adopting, but I know if we knew someone who didn't want their child, we would take it. Maybe it wouldn't be a formal adoption, but we would be happy to take care of it. I just don't think there would be a problem.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:42 AM on May. 18, 2009

• The people would be complaining more about entitlement programs..... and higher taxes.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Maybe the unwanted children in our system now could take care of them.
    Anonymous

• I think either you would be legally obligated to keep them, or everyone in the country would be legally obligated to adopt at least one child.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:47 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Maybe all the Pro-lifers could adopt them?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on May. 18, 2009

• There you go anon 9:50! All the pro-lifers can adopt them, I'm sure they wouldn't be pro-life anymore after raising a crack baby that is not theirs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I would be glad to adopt as many children as possible, but right now in my life im not financially capable. My goal for the future when I have the money is to adopt as many mentally handicapped and/or drug babies that people dont want.. I would be willing to adopt teenagers (since most adopting parents want infants). Thats my goal for my future, im prolife and I CARE about children out of the womb, thank you.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 10:01 AM on May. 18, 2009

• We will not need to deal with unwanted children,but what we need to deal then is many,many dead women who will get the abortion in any way they want.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on May. 18, 2009