9 week old and sleep schedule!?

I am trying to get my 9 week old into a sleep schedule.. I have read in a bunch of books that he should be sleeping about 6 straight hours a night. he sleeps maybe 4 at the most. I try to keep him awake during the day so that he knows it is play time but he gets upset and cries because he is tired.. any suggestions? I put him "to bed" the same night everynight to try to get him on s schedule but he is up3 or 4 hours later...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know what book you read but who ever wrote it apparently knew jack shit about kids. No child is the same. Some babies will sleep great from the get go, but others will keep you up ALL the time. 9 weeks old is might young to start trying to keep him awake during the day. Your poor baby is tired and that is NORMAL! Let him sleep for christ sake. That's what babies do! And just wait, you will miss the days he slept a lot and you could have a minute to yourself! Having a baby means giving up what YOU want. I feel sorry for your baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on May. 18, 2009

• he still needs naps probably around three and about 5-6 hours of total nap time.a well rested baby is going to sleep better then an over tierd one.3-4 hours isn't bad for a 9 week old, and babies will sleep through the night in their own time.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 10:03 AM on May. 18, 2009

• well excuse me for asking bitch!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on May. 18, 2009

• thanks gypsymama
    Anonymous

• At 9 weeks, be happy that he's sleeping for 4 hours straight! My son started sleeping 8 hours a night around 7 weeks, we got lucky. My daughter though is now 6 months and still gets up after 5 hours at night for a bottle....
    To keep my little one awake more in the afternoon we do a lot of tummy time and dancing time. Anytime i put her in her swing or bouncer though she is out.
    Vanessannd

Answer by Vanessannd at 10:18 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Read this article on infant/baby sleep habits, it is very interesting and insightfull to what a baby should and could be doing. This is the part that stands out to me,

"Encouraging a baby to sleep too deeply, too soon, may not be in the best survival or developmental interest of the baby. This is why new parents, vulnerable to sleep trainers' claims of getting their baby to sleep through the night, should not feel pressured to get their baby to sleep too long, too deeply, too soon. Nightwaking has developmental benefits. Sleep researchers believe that babies sleep "smarter" than adults do." Lesson #3

Take a few minutes and give it a read!

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T070200.asp
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:35 AM on May. 18, 2009

• My daughter is 10 weeks and def. not sleeping through the night. She just recently started doing 4 hour stretches. She's never gone longer than that (I think once she did 5 hrs.) but she's little and needs to eat a lot, plus she's breastfed only. I felt some pressure to get her on a schedule but then realized it is impossible this early. The best I can hope for is consistency. We have the same routine every n ight but some nights are better than others. I haven't slept longer than a 4 hour stretch since she's been born and I wonder if I ever will...
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 4:26 PM on May. 18, 2009

• the first responder to this question... miss anon.... you are a bitch.
    katskelington

Answer by katskelington at 9:41 PM on May. 18, 2009

• There is no reason why a 9 week old should sleep 6 hours a night, some do but most don't. Those that do sleep through usually don't need any "training" to start doing it. Its just how the kid is. Both my kids started sleeping 5-6 hours a night at a very young age..i consider it good luck and i wasn't expecting either of them to do it.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:11 AM on May. 19, 2009