Low Carbs

Ok so I was very close to having gestational diabetes but happen to slip away. But however, they do want me to cut back on carbs and sugars. I can find stuff low in sugars but Im having a heck of a time finding stuff low in carbs. Any suggestions. And what is a normal intake of carbs in a day or what is a healthy amount to consume?

Nikky0803PAG

Asked by Nikky0803PAG at 10:22 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• You're going to get a lot of opinions on this one. Here's mine:

Just by eating healthy, you will get low carb foods. Meats, most vegetables, some dairy products are naturally low carb foods. Avoid eating a lot of the starchy veggies like corn, peas, sweet potatoes, potatoes, and winter squash. There are other ways to get Vitamin A. Fruits with fiber, like apples, pears, peaches, oranges and grapefruit are good to eat because the fiber will help negate the absorption of the carbs. Healthy carb foods include high fiber cereals like All-Bran. All-Bran has only 23 carb grams per serving, but it's dietary fiber is 10 g, for a net carb effect of only 13 g. Dry beans and lentils are a good source of healthy carbs, also pretty good sources of fiber and protein. I enjoy making my own spaghetti sauce (no sugar added) and topping a cooked chicken breast on top of cooked lentils with the sauce. Sprinkle with some mozz cheese.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:36 AM on May. 18, 2009

• a NORMAL intake of carbs in America for a non diabetic person is usually 180 to 225 g carbs per day. I'm not so sure that's healthy...look at the obesity epidemic and the rise in diabetes. I'm diabetic, and I personally get by on 30 to 45 carbs a day just fine. My body's blood sugars are good proof that my doctor-recommended low carb diet is not necessarily harmful, as long as you eat the healthy foods and don't get your carbs from foods with little nutritional value. If you aren't diabetic, I would recommend more carbs, like 30 at each meal and two 15 carb snacks, just keep 'em healthy.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 11:05 AM on May. 18, 2009

• When you are counting carbs beware of any product that says 'low fat' or 'light'. Typically manufactuers remove fat and load it up with sugars to hide the loss of flavor. How many carbs per day depends on you and your body. Everyone is different. I was a gestational diabetic in my last pregnancy. 13 yrs after he was born I was diagnosed a type 2 diabetic, I was warned this was likely to happen/ Personally, I have to keep my carbs at 110 a day or less...90 is better but hard to do sometimes. I have a good friend though who must consume at least 130 a day or she is crashing all over the place. Breads, pastas and rice are empty carb rich foods. Look for higher fiber contents. Fiber is subtracted from the carb count giving you net carbs. Berries are better fruit choices because they are high in fiber. Oranges can be slippery territory..oranges spike my BS like crazy. Be careful of sugar alcohols...cont's
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:11 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Cont'd Sugar alcohols are common in 'no sugar added' and 'sugar free' foods. For many people they spike BS. The body typically burns they first before standards carbs. Some people have little to no issue with them, others cannot consume them at all. Things like mayo and such look great because they have no carbs...but they are loaded with saturated fats. Lean fats are good and necessary for your body. My nutritionist actually suggested following a 'South Beach' diet approach..only use it as a lifestyle guide. GL>
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:15 AM on May. 18, 2009

• The previous post is right on the mark. Remember too, that even some fruits are very high in sugars, like banana's (which are a perfect food with so many benefits, but you would need to keep them to a min.), apples and even pears are higher carbs and I believe grapes might be included in this group.

It seems like there is an endless list of what not to eat, but in reality, if you will do what is called clean foods, eating right and healthy isn't so hard. Its just that americans dirty up our health with all kinds of complicated junk food and added crazy ingredients.

Eat a good quality protein 3 times a day (egg, lentils, nuts, chicken, fish, beef, etc.), fresh or frozen vegetables, fruit and plenty of water and life is much easier. We have developed palates that desire the sugars and rich foods to the point that we've complicated our health.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:25 AM on May. 18, 2009

• There are good carbs and bad carbs. There is a lot of new evidence that a low fat vegan diet is better for people with type 2 diabetes than the standard diabetic diet. Here is a great article: http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20060726/low-fat-vegan-diet-may-treat-diabetes
    You can get free meal plans and recipes from Dr. McDougall's webiste: http://www.drmcdougall.com/free.html, or pick up one of his books at your local library.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:05 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Foods that are good to eat that are low in carbs;wasa crisp breads,toasted wheat tortilla,toast wheat bread it's lower in carbs that by itself,oats,all vegetables except starchy ones.fruits eat more berries than any others,only a half apple and the best apple is green.Avoid oranges,bannas,watermelon and pineapple.Lentils and pea soup instead of beans.If beans black beans or white northern, occasional kidney bean.I do low carb but I don't give up all my carbs else I wouldn't have anything to eat. And since I'm watching my carbs in other areas like not eating cereals,white bread,sweets I can splurge on brown rice or bread occasionally.I've done hard core low carb diets before that don't eat wheat bread,milk or cereals and I had to eat soy products that didn't last long and the soy stuff was gross.Our bodies need carbs,so an occasional carby food is better for the long run and you'll stay on your diet longer.
    countingsparows

Answer by countingsparows at 6:15 PM on May. 18, 2009