is it normal?

My kid is two and he makes noise ALL THE TIME. I mean it, his mouth doesn't shut for hours at a time. I don't mean talking, I mean he's making noise even if he's not talking, and loud. Is this a normal phase and if so how long does it last? We can't get him to quiet down for five minutes, which is worse for me since he likes to be around me all the time. I feel like my whole life has a backround track lately.

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 10:26 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i'm a stay at home mom. (SD, almost 3 years old, DD 2 weeks old)
    my SD has been doing that for about 18 months! no joke! just in the last month or so, she has settled down a lot about it. now there's only a day here or there when she does it. for a while there, i thought i was going to lose my mind. she's so advanced with her speech (she talks like a kindergarden age child), but this ridiculous noisemaking was like retroverting back to infancy! EEEKK!!!! i think you just have to wait it out.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 10:34 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I hear ya! My kids never really went through that stage, but a friend of mine has a nearly two year old that is nearly NEVER quiet. He's cute as can be.... but it can get very annoying to her especially when she is on the phone. In the car he does this high pitch scream. Its not a bad scream, like he is hurt. He does it for attention. He'll squeal and then giggle.... then squeal/scream so more to watch everyone in the car cringe and cover their ears. 

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:34 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Oh I do feel like I'm losing my mind! But if it's normal then I guess I'll just deal. I've tried cutting his sugar intake and everything, he just won't chill out for two seconds!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 10:49 AM on May. 18, 2009

• My son never got much sugar, but.....he said his first word at 7 months, sentences at 12 months, paragraphs/conversations at 18 months...and hasen't stopped talking since. He is now 13 and still will talk nonstop. So, I don't know when they stop.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:03 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Don't feel bad, my 25 month old never stops either! I have a 6 month old now, so they screeeeetch at eachother on top of it! haha She talks a lot and has great speach, so we encourage her, but the non stop noise can drive you crazy!
    leighasmom

Answer by leighasmom at 9:31 PM on May. 18, 2009