should i give him juice?

my son is 8 months old should i give him juice? I was told not to give babys juice because it will be bad for thier teeth but theres juice on his wic checks... should i be giving him juice? water? how much if so?

masonsmommy921

Asked by masonsmommy921 at 10:26 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• GIVE HIM WATER!

Juice is a cheap drink used to attempt to give children nutrition they should be getting from fresh fruit. Give him apples instead of apple juice (unless you want him to poop....) and pears, and oranges if those don't make him poop too.

Water is healthier for his teeth, and he needs a lot of fluids. If you're not giving him formula you need to give him as much water as he'll drink, make sure to brush his teeth (AT LEAST once a day, but preferably twice.)

My mother is fostering 3 children whose teeth have rotted out of their mouths because of juice and jello and pudding. They're all under age 4. The dentist told her children should have no more than 4 oz of juice a day. They don't get juice anymore, period, but they get lots of fresh fruit...all the fresh fruit they can eat actually.

GL! He's still little enough that he doesn't really need juice anyway.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:30 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I give my 10 month old one 6 oz juice bottle everyday...I do water it down 3 oz of juice 3 oz water, and mine has no problems and with my 5 yr old i did the same thing and his teeth and everything are prefect
    JessicaNichole

Answer by JessicaNichole at 10:33 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I don't give my daughter juice at all. She doesn't need it . . . if I only I could get her to drink plain water . . . she won't drink anything, but formula. The switch to whole milk should be interesting.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:38 AM on May. 18, 2009

• If you want to give your baby juice you can, but she doesn't need it. If you do choose to give her juice, just be sure its the 100% juice (WIC juice is) not a 'juice-drink'. Also, for babies it is recomended that they get no more than 4oz. juice per day, and that juice should be given from a cup not the bottle. You can certainly give her water (about 4-6oz.) from the cup instead, and/or dilute the juice w/ water too.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 11:24 AM on May. 18, 2009

• This is a great age to introduce water in a sippy cup. Juice is completely unnecessary and I don't understand why WIC pushes it.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:43 PM on May. 18, 2009