Anyone ever snipped their child's frenulum?

frenulum is the piece of tissue connecting tongue to bottom of their mouth. My child has a very short one and it appears to be impairing his speech. I feel bad for considering it because he has been through so much but after 8 years of speech therphy and little/no improvement of speech I am not sure what other opitions.

So my question is has anyone done it successfully? Anyone have bad results?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:27 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wouldn't do it personally. Take him to see his Dr and get a professional opinion from him/her or speech therapist. My nephew and it, but it was more severe and they "snipped" it at the Dr.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on May. 18, 2009

• You are talking about being tongue-tied. Yes, it is not uncommon. I didn't have to do it though. Usually it is done early when an infant has trouble nursing. Did your son have any problems nursing?
    I'm sorry you are going through this difficult decision. Have you asked him?
    Anonymous

• My sister got it done, worked magic for her, she didnt get made fun of anymore, bit her tongue less, was alot happier. let him choose-give him the pros and cons of the situation-
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 1:42 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My son was unable to nurse as a baby. We thought originally it was because the NICU nurse gave him a bottle and he was confused but I don't think that was the problem. He is unable to lick an icecream cone the way other kids do. I had two speech therphist think it may help after working with him over 5 years. 3 years ago a ENT doctor spent 2 min with him and said he was fine but he speaks the same as he did then. The ST are now undecided what they think. So I am thinking of going through a dentist because I had one recommend it before. I was looking for some input on if it worked for others.
    Anonymous

• i know someone who had it done at 16. he, amazingly, didn't have speech issues, but finally asked his mom to get it done... because he wanted to be able to french kiss. poor kid. my guess is... a little bit of pain will be well worth it on a social level (better speech, the whole kissing thing as he gets older...)
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 3:15 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My husband's niece had to have her son's tongue done. He was about 5 or 6 when he had it done. It worked great for him and he now speaks like he has never had a problem.
    Good luck in your choice.
    BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 3:57 PM on May. 18, 2009

• Both of my kids had it done as babies. My dd was 2 months old and losing a lot of weight because she couldn't nurse properly. My ds had it done basically at birth. I had expressed my concern ahead of time and they took care of it right away. I'm not sure how it would affect an older child. I would probably just go with the dr's opinion. I do know that mouth injuries heal faster than others, so maybe it would be so bad...
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 6:47 PM on May. 18, 2009

• I had mine clipped when I was a few weeks old. My daughter had hers done a few hours after she was born. Neither of us have had any problems since, but my cousins parents didn't clip hers and she had a lot of speech and weight problems and then when she was 16 she ended up ripping it trying to eat something and was in a lot of pain. She wished it would've been done earlier and at a doctor's office.
    rlambert

Answer by rlambert at 7:23 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My dd was tongue-tied. Hers was clipped when she was only a day old. Today she's 6 and quite the chatter box. :-) no probs
    Anonymous

• I actually had my sons clipped today, and he didnt really react to it. The pediatrician was finished with the process in about 5 seconds, and two little drops of blood. He is great now. I have heard that the tight frenulum can cause speech problems, and it was very common to do before formula was introduced to kids. Breastfed babies get it done, and although your son is a little older I wouldn't make it a concern. It (supposedly) hurts less than getting an ear piercing. I know you have been trying speech therapy, but some times the issue is a simple as this. I wouldn't worry so much about the pain as I would him getting used to having more freedom with his tongue. then again, kids get used to all kinds of things relatively fast- like braces. Talk to your son. I think it would be fine to do and that way you have exhausted all of your options for improving his speech.
    thissunnysunday

Answer by thissunnysunday at 2:56 PM on May. 29, 2009