How can I fix my crunchy diapers?

I have switched to Country Save and no longer use washing soda (tho I do sprinkle the diapers in the pail with baking soda). I got a diaper sprayer so there is barely any gunk on the diapers when they are washed. I wash in my FL every 2 or 3 days. First I do a cold rinse. Next I do a hot "whitest whites" wash with Country Save. I have tried the recommended amount of detergent as well as about half that. I do cold rinses until I smell nothing. I've tried with and without vinegar. I also just started using Calgon in with my detergent. I think I've noticed a difference using it in my regular laundry, but not much of anything with the diaps. I also took 2 clean test diaps and boiled them for 10 mins in dawn, then tossed them in the washer for 2 hot wash/cold rinse cycles with no additives. Still crunchy, tho maybe slightly softer? I've tried drying on low, med & hi. Help! I'm using disp's now until I can fix this :(

phroggtrapp

Asked by phroggtrapp at 10:28 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what do you mean by crunchy? The material isn't soft enough, or too stiff?
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:33 AM on May. 18, 2009

• The diapers (CPFs & Indian) are very rough & scratchy.
    phroggtrapp

Answer by phroggtrapp at 10:36 AM on May. 18, 2009

• hm, try fabric softener? After that...I dunno...run over them with the car a few times? (no....seriously....that's what I was told to do with my softball glove to soften it, and it worked!)
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 10:38 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Vinegar in the rinse cycle will soften them; so will a few minutes in the dryer.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:08 PM on May. 18, 2009

• OK, I just called my utility company and found out to my surprise that our water is SOFT and fairly neutral (7.2 - 7.4 pH). Considering that, what should I try?
    phroggtrapp

Answer by phroggtrapp at 4:59 PM on May. 18, 2009

• they might need a really good stripping... What worked for me is putting them inside the dishwasher. DO NOT put any detergent in there, just run it on a regular cycle. Place the diapers on the top rack.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 2:46 AM on May. 19, 2009

• Dishwasher? Wow, never thought of that! I'll give it a try. How many do you do in one load?
    phroggtrapp

Answer by phroggtrapp at 10:37 AM on May. 19, 2009