Anyone have their child's frenulum clipped?

frenulum is the piece of tissue connecting tongue to bottom of their mouth. My child has a very short one and it appears to be impairing his speech. I feel bad for considering it because he has been through so much but after 8 years of speech therphy and little/no improvement of speech I am not sure what other opitions.

So my question is has anyone done it successfully? Anyone have bad results? Which method did you have done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I had mine done. but i was very young (still on the bottle) when I had mine clipped.. I guess it worked out just fine. I didnt know it until mom told me about it one day & I dont have any speech problems.
    Mom said they gave me a bottle & dr. opened my mouth (so my tongue would naturally go up with the bottle) and he clipped the "extra skin" didnt bother me at all..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 10:36 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I haven't, but, I know six people that have and all are better for it. Some were tiny babies when it was done and some were older. They all speak better because of it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:43 AM on May. 18, 2009

• My sister had her oldest childs clipped. She was so tongue tied she was unable to breastfeed and had great difficulty with bottles. After it was clipped she was able to nurse her and has had no ill effects.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:59 AM on May. 18, 2009

• My son's was done about 2 weeks after birth. He was having a terrible time nursing and his was pretty severe according to the ENT we went to. I would not hesitate to have my next child done, but at 8 years old the procedure may be different. With my son they had me hold him (he was sleeping) and the nurse held his head still while the doc lifted his tongue up with a piece of slotted metal thing and then he just snipped. My son screamed more about the stuff in his mouth then anything and I immediately put him to breast and he went right back to sleep.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:57 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Everyone I know who had it done had it done as infants, not older kids.
    Anonymous

• I had my frenum clipped. It is the tissue that comes down from the top lip in between the front teeth. I was 8 yrs old. It was fairly painful and traumatic at that age. I had it done at the dental surgeon's office. I had several shots in my gums and lips. Then the cuts were sewn shut. I hurt for about three days but the first day was the worst. I had to lie in bed with an ice pack on my lip. I would think at his age, the procedure would be comparable.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 6:01 PM on May. 18, 2009

• My mom had her's done at 14 and I had to have my youngest son's done when he was two days old. He could not nurse or take a bottle or anything. He would gag and choke, it was awful. The only thing I can think of is that it would be for the betterment of your child. The mouth is the fastest healing part of the human body and this would only be a short period of time for it to hurt even in the slightest. I personally wouldn't think twice. My YDS was so bad that when he would cry or yawn he would gasp in pain because his little tongue would "V" in his mouth since he couldn't raise it. He had to be fed by a dropper because otherwise he would choke.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:47 PM on May. 19, 2009