Strep B

Is this test really that bad? I saw a post on here a couple months ago, and the replies kind of freaked me out.. now I have to get it done on Wednesday and i'm freaking out. I can't imagine it being THAT horrible, but maybe it is?

itsbree2you

Asked by itsbree2you at 10:41 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no its not bad at all. its done while you are being checked if i remember correctly. if you test positive, they will give you antibiotics before you deliver and you and the baby will be fine. :)
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 10:44 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Read up on strep B statistics before you freak out about needing the antibiotics!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on May. 18, 2009

• If it does come back positive please be sure they give you the antibiotics. My niece was born with it, may SIL had a false neg result and didnt get the antibiotics and my niece was in the hospital for 2 weeks. The antibiotic they give you is penecillian unless you are allergic then its just the next one that they can give you. Honestly even though my test was neg I still had the antibiotic just to be safe. I hated seeing what my SIL and BIL went through. Also the test is just like a pap basically but no speculum. Good Luck
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 10:51 AM on May. 18, 2009

• Thanks for letting me know about requesting the antibiotics regardless! I'll def have to ask my doctor about that.. i like to be extra careful too!
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 10:55 AM on May. 18, 2009

• They just take a swab of your vagina and test the swab. The test itself isn't bad, no. But if you test positive for StrepB they will give you antibiotics, and you will most likely have to have a caesarian.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:00 AM on May. 18, 2009

• It really isn't that bad. Personally, a PAP is worse...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on May. 18, 2009

• They swab the vagina and the anus. It's not too horrible. I personally would not have this test because the rate of infected babies wtih antibiotics is 1 in 4,444 and the rate of infected babies without treatment is 1 in 4,444. The best thing to do is to test baby AFTER she is born to see if she has been infected. Giving antibiotics without a reason is bad. It causes super bugs. You do not have to have a cesarean for this. Please people!!! Get your facts right.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:17 AM on May. 18, 2009

• ITA with MoonLover!
    Simple solution, start taking acidophilus (a probiotic) right now. Not can it help prevent GBS, but also yeast infections and utis which can cause preterm labor. Its very safe to take during pregnancy. Then you won't have to worry about all the hooplah that surrounds GBS.

GBS test itself is a qtip they swab the labia and rectum. Takes 2 seconds. A pap or vaginal exam is much more invasive and uncomfortable.
    MamaCarterof5

Answer by MamaCarterof5 at 12:06 PM on May. 18, 2009