• In the Spotlight:

My 3 mos old sucks his thumb...is this bad?

None of my kids ever sucked their thumb, so I'm curious if this is something good or bad? I worry it will be a hard habit to break as he gets older, but what can I really do about it now?

nosoup4u

Asked by nosoup4u at 10:54 AM on May. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Levi has been sucking his thumb since he was 4 months old. He refused a paci at that time and switched to his thumb. If your baby wont take a paci I would say it is OK for awhile. They have proven that a baby sucking on a paci or thumb at bed time reduces the chance of SIDS.
    We are working on No thumb. He has pretty much completely weened himself except when he is tired. He just turned 2. The one thing is that if they continue to suck their thumbs after 2 it can cause their teeth to push forward. Oh... and that stuff you paint on their nails.... doesn't work... and I wouldn't put it on a baby as young as yours.
    Mommy_Foster

Answer by Mommy_Foster at 11:09 AM on May. 18, 2009

• i would try to break the habit now if you can. my daughter sucks on her fingers. it was cute when she was young but now she is 2.5 and i cant get her to stop!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 10:56 AM on May. 18, 2009

• How cute! Some people will say it's bad b/c he may not stop and then you'll have to get him to stop later on. Some people will say don't worry about it right now. He may stop on his own. And at 3 mos I don't know how you'd make him stop anyway. I don't think I'd put that sour stuff they sell on his thumb. But other folks will say do it now to prevent having to deal with it later. I say let him do it. Good luck!
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:57 AM on May. 18, 2009

• I would try to encourage using a pacifier. All babies have a non-nutritive sucking need until at or around 18 months, and some docs suggest using one till around 2.5 yrs. But, yes, a thumb habit would be harder to break later on. So, I would try for the paci. and then you can break that habit later on.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 AM on May. 18, 2009